Rear Shock problem

tcs207
tcs207 Posts: 9
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I have a Ario RL rear shock on my camber. This is my first full sus bike and I’m trying to get the suspension set up right for me.

I set the shock so that i get 25 % sag but I was finding that I was not getting much travel from the rear shock so after a couple of rides i release about 5-10 psi out.

Now that I’m getting more travel out of the shock but I’m finding that it bottoms out about 60-70% down the shock. I can literally get it to this point by standing on it and bouncing.

Obviously I realise if I put more air in i can make it firmer but i would have thought the shock should have more travel.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Specialized Camber FSR Elite
Specialized Hardrock Pro

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You shouldn't be able to bottom out a shoick by just standing and bouncing on the bike - the hits it will take on a trail will be far greater than that.
    Apart from that, most shocks have a rubber bumper internally to absorb and control any bottom out impacts - maybe the Ario RL has a particularly large bumper?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you mean the whole rod isn't disappearing into the cylinder, that sounds right.
    The actual travel of the frame is different to the amount of fork travel due to the geometry of the frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tcs207
    tcs207 Posts: 9
    Thanks for your replys.

Just been to my local bike shop and they are taking a look at it now. They seem to think somthing is wrong with it so will leave it with them.
    Specialized Camber FSR Elite
    Specialized Hardrock Pro