Upgrade Alu Bike - Canyon or Cube?

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys

Sorry but here's another "which bike" thread.

Am shortly due to receive a cash windfall that means I can consider upgrading from my Spesh Secteur Elite I bought last year.

Main criteria are that I would like to stick with an Alu frame since I don't think with my age and ability, i would benefit too much from opting for carbon. Also I would like to be able to specify a triple crank since I am well stricken in years and need all the help I can get when the terrain gets lumpy. Budget is around the £1500 mark.

Have singled out 2 possibilities - The Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2109

and the Cube Agree SL

http://www.cube.eu/en/road/pro-series/agree-sl/

Both can be specified with Ultegra triple groupsets (the Canyon also has the option to select an 11 - 28 cassette )

The Canyon came out well in a recent Cycling Active review but obviously they are only sold over the net. The Cube range has been reviewed well also but is available from on the "High Street" so could be test ridden in theory.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Comments

• benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I like the look of both and they are both great bikes for the money. Possibly edge towards the Canyon as you don't see as many around.

But have you looked at reviews for the Cannondale CAAD 10?

Ok the Ultegra version is more expensive but the 105 version is around £1300, I 'd add that to your list and see what others think.

If you could stretch to £1850, the carbon Agree GTC Race is great for the money, think they do a 105 version for £1500 or so but you may have difficulty getting hold of some of the Cube range until the 2012 range comes out.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • arlowood
    Benno68 wrote:

CAAD 10 (with Shimano 105) was included in the group test in Cycling Plus and was rated lower than the Canyon. To match the Ultegra spec on a CAAD 10 I would have to up the budget to about £1900. Not sure either if I would be able to get a Triple crank "off-the-shelf" with the Cannondale
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    Hi, when you say a recent test in Cycling Active did you mean the AL 8.0 and not the AL 9.0 ?
    I am looking in the Summer edition and it got a 98% rating comparedto the
    Cannondale CAAD 10 105 89%
    Boardman Team 91%

Canyon seems to win hands down, however it was the priciest of the three.
    Apologies if this was the Canyon you mentioned. I must admit every review I've seen on Canyons are very positive so maybe not so much of a gamble with no test ride.
    Only a personal thing for me but I do think the Canyon could look a bit better. Where as the Boardman looks great.
    Cheers, Scurry
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    arlowood wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

CAAD 10 (with Shimano 105) was included in the group test in Cycling Plus and was rated lower than the Canyon. To match the Ultegra spec on a CAAD 10 I would have to up the budget to about £1900. Not sure either if I would be able to get a Triple crank "off-the-shelf" with the Cannondale

Still worth a test ride if it is available in a triple. Compact is usually fine except for the most extreme hills or for touring with heavy panniers etc.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • arlowood
    ascurrell wrote:
    Hi, when you say a recent test in Cycling Active did you mean the AL 8.0 and not the AL 9.0 ?
    I am looking in the Summer edition and it got a 98% rating comparedto the
    Cannondale CAAD 10 105 89%
    Boardman Team 91%

Canyon seems to win hands down, however it was the priciest of the three.
    Apologies if this was the Canyon you mentioned. I must admit every review I've seen on Canyons are very positive so maybe not so much of a gamble with no test ride.
    Only a personal thing for me but I do think the Canyon could look a bit better. Where as the Boardman looks great.
    Cheers, Scurry

Hi Scurry

My apologies - It was the Canyon Ultimate AL 8.0 in the test as you rightly point out. This has Campag Athena as opposed to the 9.0 with Ultegra and is about £100 cheaper than the 9.0.

As far as I can see though the specs of the 2 bikes are identical except for the drivetrain.

The 9.0 still looks like a great bike for the money.