The IG Markets Pro Cycling Index Goes Live

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited June 2011 in Pro race

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Cav 60 places higher than in the UCI rankings - 4th vs 64th! Fairly reflects the very top of the sport, IMO. Most people would say Gilbert, Contador, Cancellara and Cav are cycling's true stars (whatever you may think of the Spaniard!)
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Dan Martin at 14th though? WTF? He's won nothing of note, a couple of minor Italian one day races and the Tour of Poland.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    andyp wrote:
    Dan Martin at 14th though? WTF? He's won nothing of note, a couple of minor Italian one day races and the Tour of Poland.

He speaks English as his native tongue.....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    phil s wrote:
    Cav 60 places higher than in the UCI rankings - 4th vs 64th! Fairly reflects the very top of the sport, IMO. Most people would say Gilbert, Contador, Cancellara and Cav are cycling's true stars (whatever you may think of the Spaniard!)

You're involved in this aren't you?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Thans, but I think I'll stick with CQranking for a while. Even with a 12-month rolling total, I find it hard to see how Cav is fourth.

Perhaps its based on number of appearances on the cover of ProCycling?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • phil s
    yup. does that make my opinion worthless?
  • RichN95.
    phil s wrote:
    yup. does that make my opinion worthless?

No, that wasn't my point. I'd seen you name in connection with it. I was just checking it was actually you.
  • RichN95.
    LangerDan wrote:
    Thans, but I think I'll stick with CQranking for a while. Even with a 12-month rolling total, I find it hard to see how Cav is fourth.

Ten Grand Tour stages (and four second places) is pretty good going by anyone's standard.
  • phil s
    Cheers Rich. Actually when I say I am involved, it's very loose involvement and all the leg-work has been done by a team of vastly experienced cycling journos. For me the merit in this is that it might approach something like ATP or PGA rankings and be more representative of who the sport's most bankable stars really are.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    phil s wrote:
    Cheers Rich. Actually when I say I am involved, it's very loose involvement and all the leg-work has been done by a team of vastly experienced cycling journos. For me the merit in this is that it might approach something like ATP or PGA rankings and be more representative of who the sport's most bankable stars really are.

So its based economic factors then?
    Mañana
  • phil s
    pb21 wrote:
    phil s wrote:

So its based economic factors then?

Not really, pb21. Me saying "bankable" reflects the fact that Pip, Clenbutador, Chinny and Cav are without doubt cycling's top figures, right? The ones who will attract the best sponsors and the biggest contracts.
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen's quite low then at 60 if it's bankable.

Sure, this season hasn't been great, and he was injured for most of last season (which I believe impacted this season), but 60th?

Sheesh.
  • andyp
    Sagan is 56th!

Ben Swift 87th!

It's very random.
  • andyp
    Basso 148th! Iain's not going to like that...
  • phil s
    Boonen's quite low then at 60 if it's bankable.

Sure, this season hasn't been great, and he was injured for most of last season (which I believe impacted this season), but 60th?

Sheesh.

Me saying "bankable" is just my opinion. I agree Boonen is one of the sport's biggest stars, but any ranking system awards points on performances (how those performances are assessed or weighted is another matter). The fact is Boonen was injured for ages and until Tour of Qatar he hadn't won since Tirreno-Adriatico 2010 if I'm not mistaken.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Eh... it's a decent idea, but I'm not really sure it does anything that CQ Ranking doesn't.

CQ Ranking also has the bonus of allowing people to see exactly where each rider earned their points, plus race results, team rosters and so on.
  • rick_chasey
    data provided by opta? As in opta joe?

They have THE BEST football stats around.
  • phil s
    afx - that functionality should appear next week i believe

Rick - yes, that opta
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I find it interesting 3 out of the top 4 "bankable" stars are / were on teams that had difficultly attracting / keeping sponsors.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, if only there was enough money in cycling to make the quality of stats opta make for football worthwhile.

Seriously, opta joe is a quality twitter feed.
  • phil s
    iainf72 wrote:
    I find it interesting 3 out of the top 4 "bankable" stars are / were on teams that had difficultly attracting / keeping sponsors.

Yeah, weird state of the sport, innit. Inrng's newest blog alludes to this and the fact that the events and broadcasters are doing ok while certain teams are struggling.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    Ah, if only there was enough money in cycling to make the quality of stats opta make for football worthwhile.

Seriously, opta joe is a quality twitter feed.

Mark Cavendish has won 15 stages of the Tour de France. Rapid
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nice, ty.

Dan Martin in 14th. Racer.
    Contador is the Greatest