Will he move team.....?

emadden
emadden Posts: 2,431
edited June 2011 in Pro race
Dan Martin that is. I feel for the guy. He worked his butt off to get into super form, but still isnt good enough to get on the Garvelo team for the Tour. If I were him, seeing all my peers getting a ride, I'd probably be looking for another team.
www.dotcycling.com

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Does that leave only 1 Irishman in the TDF?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Has it been confirmed he's off the squad? I though Father Vaughters was holding off announcing the remainder of the line up for a few days.

Tough break if he's out. Perhaps he's too young, what with Cervelo's "youth" policy of 33 year-old TdF debutantes?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Hold on.. Dan Martin's not on the tour squad?

And Danielson is????

Vaughters has jumped the shark.

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    calvjones wrote:
    Hold on.. Dan Martin's not on the tour squad?

And Danielson is????

Vaughters has jumped the shark.

Have you seen how well Danielson has been riding? If he wasn't in the Tour team, it would be a bloody scandal. (IMO)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Dan Martin is over rated.

Discuss.
  • andyp
    In fact, Dan Martin is the Anglo/Irish version of Tom Danielson.

Discuss.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Has Tom Danielson won a stage race since goig pro? I honestly have no idea.
  • iainf72
    How dare you! Tom Danielson has finished in the top 10 in a grand Tour 3 times. And won a stage in one of them.

But yes, they are similar. Not sure if Dan has any eskimo in him though.
  • iainf72
    rebs wrote:

Yep. he's won a few.
  • andyp
    rebs wrote:

He's won the Tour of the Qinghai Lake, the Tour of Langkawi, the Tour of Georgia and the Tour of Austria. He's also won a Veulta stage and finished in the top ten three times.

He's a decent enough rider, he's just suffered from being over hyped.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    ah I have got caught up in the hype which does take away from the riders acheivements. With that in mind seems harsh to think that the Garmin squad should have 1 or the other.

I guess it's more down to howuch they are prepared to put into the sprints... Is tour still happy to work for Farrar in the springs like he said when he signed up for Garmin?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Dan Martin is clearly a good rider, but his allergies are continuing to be a massive issue. Presumably a rider with such a problem with pollen is better suited to the latter part of the season where levels are likely to be lower. He claimed that unexpected pollen in the Dauphine ruined his race, but if I was his DS I'd be concerned about the same happening again in July, rendering him useless.

There was a comment from Dan Martin a week or two ago about how he wanted to do the Tour, but the team had been talking about him being team leader in the Vuelta. OK, he isn't in the Tour this year, but he could have the ultimate opportunity to make a name for himself by doing something big in Spain instead...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8846/ ... rvelo.aspx

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8799/ ... ction.aspx

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8799/ ... ction.aspx

Dan Martin is a quality rider, exciting and with an attacking mentality. He rides on feel, a real purist. Mountain climber. Last year he was 33rd in the CQ rankings.

He has a whole raft of palmares. Check his performance in Tour of Poland 2010 - class. He has beaten Valverde on an uphill who subsequently gave him respect. TofB; GUTS. Italy 1 days he does very well - just won one.

He does however suffer very badly from allergies and breathing difficulties which severely hamper him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    His palmares would look a damn sight better if Valverde had been banned a bit sooner.
  • andyp
    Dan Martin is a quality rider, exciting and with an attacking mentality. He rides on feel, a real purist. Mountain climber. Last year he was 33rd in the CQ rankings.

He has a whole raft of palmares. Check his performance in Tour of Poland 2010 - class. He has beaten Valverde on an uphill who subsequently gave him respect. TofB; GUTS. Italy 1 days he does very well - just won one.

I don't dispute he has talent, and 33rd in the rankings is about right. But according to the IG markets ranking, he's better than Evans (who's won Tirreno-Adriatico, the Tour of Romandie and come second at the Dauphine so far this season), Petacchi (stage win in the Giro) and Voeckler (multiple wins including two stages of Paris-Nice). I don't agree with that.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The Garmin Tour squad hasn't been announced, but Vaughters and Martin both confirmed that Martin wouldn't be on it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,206
    andyp wrote:
    In fact, Dan Martin is the Anglo/Irish version of Tom Danielson.

Discuss.

Dan Martin has a few more years to prove himself than Danielson.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Is this the same "Tommy" Danielson that was supposed to be the next big thing ?

A few attacks in Switzerland and he`s on the tour team pathetic
  • iainf72
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Well, no, not really. A good ride in Switzerland, a good ride in California. FFS, the guy has top 10'd in 3 Grand Tours, he's proved a lot more than Martin has.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Well, no, not really. A good ride in Switzerland, a good ride in California. FFS, the guy has top 10'd in 3 Grand Tours, he's proved a lot more than Martin has.

On this seasons form up until Monday when Martin won TD would be the pick every time, i think this "next big thing" is boring old hat and was maybe relevant 6 years ago but not now. He is a decent rider who deserves his Tour spot as for Martin he has time on his side but he is a decent rider also but maybe not as good as is being made oout.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I predict that, in fine Garmin tradition, Eskimo Tom will romp home 4th in this year's Tour.