Used forum sales , standard sizes, mix n match etc etc

Ezy Rider
Ezy Rider Posts: 415
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Im an avid guitarist in my spare time, and if a guitar is made up of different components from different makers, we call it a partscaster. I recently completed a great deal with a fellow BR member , whereby I got a new fizik arione kium at a terrific price and Im going to fit it to my Trek 1.1 . It got me thinking one day id like a roadbike weighing in around 16-17 lbs weight and I could achieve that by building a partscaster bike that wouldnt involve the kind of cash that a costly higher spec carbon would. I could fit my double compact hollowtech and fit the handbuilt wheels that I already own. This brings me to the mindfield that is the frame :shock: I am sure there are great guys here who sell great items at great prices and Id be willing to take the plunge. Im sure that when it comes to buying a frame to make your own partscaster that standard sizing flies out the window as a lot of brands use their own sizing. Im a complete clutz with my hands and id leave the construction to the LBS for sure.

Have members here at BR ever sold nice frames , say in 54cm size, at competitive prices and that could be easily used to build a partscaster without component sizing and fitting nightmares ?

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Nice frame? Check out the Tommassini in the 'your bike' section. Do you class that as 'nice'
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Don't understand the drift of your post - lots of people build bikes from individual components - I have a garage-full! In fact, one of the joys of bikes is that fact that you don't have to buy the fully-assembled bike that was specced by some marketing twonk to meet some perceived market price point. To be frank though, if you want to build a decent bike from parts, make sure you start with a decent frame - a Trek 1.1 with DuraAce kit is still going to look like a £400 bike regardless of how much it cost.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Don't understand the drift of your post - lots of people build bikes from individual components - I have a garage-full! In fact, one of the joys of bikes is that fact that you don't have to buy the fully-assembled bike that was specced by some marketing twonk to meet some perceived market price point. To be frank though, if you want to build a decent bike from parts, make sure you start with a decent frame - a Trek 1.1 with DuraAce kit is still going to look like a £400 bike regardless of how much it cost.

What he said.

I have built up a bike from old parts in the garage. As i have upgraded my best bike i have amassed enough parts to fit to a second bike so i bought a frame, (planet x pro) and built up a second bike which is my winter hack.

Its a good way to get exactly what you want as you quite often find manafacturers will remove certasin parts to save money or make the bike more profitable.

As for your question at the end, assuming you know a bit about the parts you have eg what bottom bracket thread size you have, what size on the forks. is the derailleur band on or braze on etc etc.

You shouldn't have problems with compatibility of frame and parts but you need to know about the parts you have.