What's in your bag for 100 miler

GazzatheHaka
GazzatheHaka Posts: 10
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
6 weeks remaining to my 100+ miles a day (then 100 next day).. Can someone please advise what you would take with you for the journey ....quantity, volumes etc

Food
Fluids
Supplements
Rubs
Creams

All recommended would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    My bag (saddle) stays the same regardless of distance (multi-tool, tube, levers, phone, cash). As ride distances get longer I just start filling my rear pockets with foods, gels and more tubes.

:)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Tube
    puncture kit
    pump
    2 x Allen keys that fit most of the bike if you're paranoid.
    phone
    money
    debit card (doubles as ID if you end up being scraped off the road into a bucket)
    Nuun tabs or similar to lob in your water bottle.

No need to go overboard. A bike should cope with a 100 mile trip without anything needing attention. And there are few 100 mile journeys that don't pass a shop somewhere around the 60-80 mile marker.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wouldnt bother with rubs or creams ?

Two full bottles.
    Couple of energy bars.
    Pump
    Allen keys
    Tube or 2
    Instant patches
    Spoke key
    Multitool
    Chain tool
    Cash
    Phone

Maybe gilet or jacket or armwarmers depending on forecast.

Its pretty much the same kit I'd take out for an evening ride - just with extra food and drink really.
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    I agree with previous posts.

For 100 mile it is the same as already stated, except for sportives I would normally take CO2 rather than my pump.

So:
    2 tubes and puncture repair kit,
    Small strip of airline backage tag (to be used as a tyre boot);
    3 CO2 cannisters,
    3 tyre levers,
    multitool (including chain splitter);
    chain joining links,
    Food,
    2 full 900ml bottles and High-5 tabs (or Nuun) for refill;
    Clothes as required depending on forecast.

In addition, phone, cards and £10 note. (petrol stations often won't let you spend less than £5 or £10 with a card, which is a pain if all you want is a bottle of water).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Consider whether you can replenish at somewhere on the route rather than lugging it all with you. If you thoroughly check your bike over the day before, you'll minimise the need to carry a toolkit and spares - in particular make sure your tires are free from cuts and embedded flints. A couple of inner tubes plus sticky patches and a tyre boot should cover most eventualities (although I did managed both a double-flat, and then another puncture on a ride last weekend riding through what could be best described as a scree-run). Keep an eye on the weather forecast and plan your attire accordingly - no point in carrying a rain jacket if its sunny. Most beginners are easily spotted as they are completely over-laden with a huge seatpack and bulging pockets at the end of a ride. If riding with others, why not share stuff about?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    C02 nozzle
    2 C02 cannisters
    2 tubes
    Puncture kit
    Multi tool
    Spoke tool
    Chain link tool
    Chain whip
    Bottom bracket socket
    Torque wrench
    Collapsible bike stand

Jeez are guys serious???

I take 1 C02, 1 tube, phone, cash and card. If anything goes wrong that they can't fix, I phone the wife or a friend.

Oh and drinks and gels.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Torque wrench
    Collapsible bike stand
    :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Food - 4 x energy bars or bananas or bits of flapjack. A "dose" of recovery drink powder in case I start getting the knock
    Fluids - two 1 L bottles of water+ electrolytes
    Supplements - none
    Rubs and Creams - if it's very hot or very wet then sudocreme the under carriage

I usually calculate food (on rides of 2 hours+) as 1 "piece" every hour and probably skip the last hour.
    Fluids is about 1 L per 100km, depends on the weather
  • cougie
    I did read of one US rider who doesn't even bother with anything. No pump or inner tube.

If he flats he rings his doting wife to come rescue him. Its easier cos he only does the same route every time he rides - so its easier for her to find him. My wife would have no chance tracking me down some tiny country lane and I could have died of exposure too by the time rescue happened.
  • jimbob_1978
    jimbob_1978 Posts: 158
    I`d say a multi tool with spoke key and chain breaker is as valuable as a pump. Being able to fix a badly buckled wheel or broken chain half way through a 100 is a life saver, other than that something to eat every 15 miles, spare inner tube, a phone and a tenner just in case.
  • cougie
    Multi tools are only any use if you can use the bits easily. Separates may take up more space but you can actually use them.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    100 miler?

Resuscitation equipment would be what I'd take.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    cougie wrote:
    I did read of one US rider who doesn't even bother with anything. No pump or inner tube.

If he flats he rings his doting wife to come rescue him. Its easier cos he only does the same route every time he rides - so its easier for her to find him. My wife would have no chance tracking me down some tiny country lane and I could have died of exposure too by the time rescue happened.

Jeez..my wife has better things to do with her time, and tbh I don't blaim her. The odd rescue maybe but I wouldn't rely on her, especially as we have 2 small kids.

Sod that for a game of soldiers.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    BAG?

Pockets only.

100 miles pump 2 tubes 2 tyre levers and a banana

2 water bottles (small) filled with WATER

All you need

Oh and a beer or 2 afterwards
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Put cream on before you go, if you need chamois cream mid ride it's a bit late and you didn't put enough on in the right paces.

Don't worry about the what if's, the only problem you typically might encounter on any ride is a flat so take a pump and an inner tube. Anything else such as chain etc is very sliim unless you neglect your bike.

Food wise take whatever you like to eat and a couple of bottles. Then stick a tenner and your phone in your pocket so you can get some more water or whatever when you run out.

If you're worried about the distance and how you'll fare, do test ride of 3 or 4 x 25-30 mile loops near to home and then you're never far from food, drink, help, kit