More biological passport suspensions coming?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited June 2011 in Pro race
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves20 ... evoir.html

A meeting was held in February with independent experts to look at passports, the UCI's doctor reckons there are more suspensions to come.

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    always the same right before the start of the tour..
    cartoon.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    I wouldn't be the Tour if there wasn't some chat like this.

No doubt we'll hear about it mid-Tour, probably after one of those suspected has won a stage.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Doobz wrote:

yes indeed
    In fact so regular it could be part of Pro Tour Pundit.
    I guess the upper tier of the leaked UCI list should provide the clues.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    One day the riders may actually realise that cheating isn't just cheating, it is making the sport unpalatable to sponsors. Until then we will presumably have "clean" teams like Highroad folding due to the difficulty of attacting sponsors, despite the fact that the return on sponsorship provided by cycling is massive.

If a few riders from the less reputable team were flagged up before the Tour that would be one thing, but the damage if it was someone big from one of the more highly regarded teams could be massive.

I found the comment about the samples from different years for certain cyclists changing. In a sense it is a perfect example of the value of the biological passport. If you want to microdose you are going to need to do it for the whole of your career because if you stop one season the change in your values may raise flags.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Doobz wrote:

yes indeed
    In fact so regular it could be part of Pro Tour Pundit.
    I guess the upper tier of the leaked UCI list should provide the clues.

Hey, the bio passport fails last year came out before the Giro :wink:

I imagine that they would have been waiting to see the verdict in the Pellizotti case before pressing ahead with more suspensions. That case has given them an indication of what CAS accepts as manipulation so they should have a better idea of how many people will have their suspensions upheld. However, they would then have to have a meeting to decide exactly who they are going to take action against and then send out letters asking the people responsible if they have a genuine reason for the readings(month to respond?). If this is all true then there it stands to reason that there could be some soon.