Headset For Old Carrera Kraken

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i have an old Carrera Kraken frame (it was blue/silver). I'm not sure of the year unfortunately i have removed the old paint and intend to just leave it "naked alloy". I intend to build a bike around this over time BUT the first thing i need to do is find a new headset for it (it was sat in a garden for a while and the original one has more pits than the Grand Prix)!

It was a Cane Creek "something" but the headtube diameter (or the bearing race OUTER diameter seems massive) in fact i tried an old 1'18th race from a steel framed bike and it was far to small! Not sure if this is because it's an alloy frame?? as i've only had steel framed bikes so don't have nothing to go on.

The frame is in good condition so is worth using just not sure what size headset it needs?? (but the actual headset is 1'18th because i used some of the parts to sort out my girlfriends bike and the RST's on there are def 1'18th. It's just the OUTER diameter is larger??

Any ideas as to what size i need????

Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the internal diameter of the headtube?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A lot of Carrera's use semi integrated, the hole in the headtube will be about 44mm diameter if that is the case, I'm 95% sure that is what yours will be.

Any Halfords store can use your frame number and confirm what you need - they stock the FSA No11

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi you are right The Beginner it was 44mm internal :D

Thanks.