Crank "out of true"

ollyridesfirst
ollyridesfirst Posts: 486
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Whilst out on my steed, i do occasionally check down towards my feet and have noticed that my crank seems to wave a bit. I can only describe it as being out of true....

I have a full Shimano 105 groupset and the problem doesn't seem to effect me when riding so i was wondering if a little bit of play is normal? Do i need to worry about this? Get the BB/crank checked etc???

Comments

• Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    I would say get it checked, no harm in getting it looked over, I managed to smash the bearings on a bike and it would do a similar thing and wobble when riding which was very annoying...

its most likely the bb and bearings IMO
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Do you notice this by looking at your feet when pedalling or with your feet off the pedals? It could be your feet moving on the pedals, assuming you have clipless pedals.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • i notice it while pedalling....it's the actual 50 tooth cog that looks to have play on it
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Probably just deflecting a bit at full power ?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Surely the most obvious answer is that the 50 chainring has taken a knock and isn't flat any more?
  • I have it on the stand at the moment waiting for new wheels, so when they're on i'll have a look on there and see if there's any play without any power or weight going through it!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    ColinJ wrote:
    Surely the most obvious answer is that the 50 chainring has taken a knock and isn't flat any more?

You'd be able to see that just by looking at it when stationary ? And it'd take a decent knock to do that ?
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Unlikely but a simple check. Are the chainring bolts all tight.

If they are loose it could cause the wobble

If it is loose tighten in an even pattern like on a clock ( 12 - 6, 3 - 9)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Usually you can feel if the cranks are not running in a circle as your foot will precess around the ankle joint. I've had it happen to me as a result of a failed pedal bearing and it feels very weird; you'd notice it before any visual indication.

I'd say you'd be extremely unlikely to notice if a chainring is slightly bent unless it's rotating. After all, wheelbuilders don't check for true under static conditions do they?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}