Frame Protection

thefartingcockeral
thefartingcockeral Posts: 394
edited July 2011 in MTB general
So I have a new Trek Top Fuel 8 and want the frame to stay as unmarked as possible.
Would I be better off buying Helicopter Tape from say somewhere like Biketart.com or Sports Cover Bike Shield Frame Protector Set from Wiggle.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Heli-tape. I bought the Bike Shield stuff for one bike and ended up cutting it all down into pieces anyway. The heli-tape is better value for money.
  • Thanks for that. Will get the Helicoptor Tape, but now unsure what width to get. Do I protect most of the tubes by putting the tape all the way around or just the areas that are most exposed to stones etc from underneath?
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Surely that's entirely up to you. It's possible to wrap the entire bike in expensive tape or you might just do what most people do and protect against the more common problems.

Dunno about you but the majority of marks on my frame are not from the trail but down to me doing stupid things like leaning it up against the brickwork of my house in a strong wind or propping it up against the garage door and then opening it from the inside about 2 mins later.
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Anyone tried using helecopter tape on anodised frames? As discussed in the Canyon thread, might want to protect some cable runs and it seems like it might not work...
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    I find mud works well :D
  • panzer8
    panzer8 Posts: 36
    I use this.
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/self-ama ... -tape.html

Put some on the fork crown and around the chain/seat stays.
  • dlknight
    dlknight Posts: 23
    +1 for the biketart.com heli-tape, just put some strips on my new Trek Fuel EX 8.

I put some on the top tube (as my shorts were scratching it - when muddy), some on the bottom of the down tube, chainstays, crank arms and then the cable contact points.

Tip for applying, use an atomizer spray (like a perfume sprayer filled with water), spray this on the frame and also onto the sticky side of the heli-tape. Don't worry about soaking it as it will dry off, then apply using a something flexible with a soft but firm edge - I had a small squidy left from my mobile phone heli-tape kit which was perfect. Place the tape on the damp area and smooth out from the centre using the squidgy to displace the water and any air bubbles outwards towards the edges. You should get a good bubble free application using this method.
    Specialized Hardrock Sport 2005
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2011