Specialized - difference between an Allez and a Secteur?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
I bought the 2010 Secteur Sport in the sale last year and I'm really happy with it. The thing that's bothering me though is how so many other cyclists seem to have gone for the Allez instead.

Mine has Sora front/Tiagra rear mechs and a triple chainring on it. All works well etc.

Whats the difference between the two and have I missed out in some way??

Comments

• sparkins1972
    sparkins1972 Posts: 252
    If I remember correctly, the Allez is an alloy version of the Tarmac which is a racier geometry, whereas the Secteur is an alloy version of the Roubaix which is more of a relaxed 'sportive' type geometry so should be more comfortable over long rides. the Secteur has a taller head tube for example and the ride position is slightly more upright.

Hope this helps :-)
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    Geometry.................both bikes are available in different and comparable specs through their range.....The Secteur has slightly more relaxed geometry, - in theory it will be a more comfortable longer distance sportive machine , whereas the Allez geometry is more focussed for speed.....

Other than that - pretty similar bikes - check out specialized website for the geometry details and you'll see the difference in measurements.

I may well be wrong, however I also believe that the bottom end Allez is lower spec and hence cheaper than the bottom end Secteur, that is also another reason for seeing more around :D

I too have a 2010 Secteur Sport - absolutely love it - and love it even more following a BGFit session...without doubt the best £120 I've spent on an upgrade :D
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    good god i am sick of seeing allez (s?)

Used to own one and had to sell it as i got tired of them being EVERYWHERE.

i now dodge anyone riding the latest allez- they are obviously new at road riding as its never an upgrade bike, so the chances are they don't know what they're doing.

knowingly or otherwise, you sir, made a wise choice
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    i now dodge anyone riding the latest allez- they are obviously new at road riding as its never an upgrade bike, so the chances are they don't know what they're doing.

:roll: yeah, right oh......
  • AlunJ
    AlunJ Posts: 40
    charming! Nothing wrong with the allez, I'd love to upgrade when I have some money mind :)
    Alun

Road: Dolan L'Etape Carbon 105
    MTB: 2016 Voodoo Hoodoo
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I'm glad I've not been shortchanged then! I love the long distance rides so the Secteur seems to have, unintentionally, been the right choice :D
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    The 2010 models actually look quite similar. Specialized changed this significantly with the 2011 models so there is now a very clear distinction between the two.

I've got the 2010 Secteur Elite - love it.
  • TyeBag
    TyeBag Posts: 29

Biggest load of crap I've ever heard

Everyone has to start somewhere and just because someone rides an allez doesn't mean they are new and should be avoided

Muppet springs to mind
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    I bought red Allez 2010 on sale for 400 quid, because it matched jersey/bibs color i had :) And I never regret, the quality and feel of the bike is really good. Im doing 20 hilly miles several times per week for starters, and it rides very well. This is my first road bike though.
    Never seen red allez around for last 6 months :)
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Some of the snobbery on this and other threads is pathetic. You do see a lot of Spec Allez but I think this is due to vfm and brand availability.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    yes, 'tis a pity that mods don't sinbin some forum users for makin' dumbass statements.
    Tricycle boy should stick to his stabilisers maybe.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I had a specialized allez, thought it was a great bike
  • good god i am sick of seeing allez (s?)

I would love to give you 10 out of 10 for the troll but as this is the beginners forum it can only be rated as a 'FAIL!' :wink:
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Wh05apk
    Wh05apk Posts: 35

Both myself and my son rides Allez's both great VFM, and for newcomers are great as there is practically a guaranteed resale market.

Having read your comment, assuming you are serious, we now know to avoid anyone NOT on an Allez, as they will no doubt be know it alls on "superior bikes"
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

Perhaps you'd not noticed that this forum is called "Road BEGINNERS", so it's for noobs? If that's not what you are (and you clearly aren't), can I suggest you go and infest a different board?

It's just a hill. Get over it.