New Forks

wolfridgerider
wolfridgerider Posts: 6
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I'm looking to buy a new set of forks for my Marin wolf ridge 2009, what is the largest fork that i can safely fit on it. :?:

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why go any bigger than the frame was designed for? It's unlikely to be an improvement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    I think the original poster was more likely asking whats the max travel that he can use on said frame all frames have a specified limit .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi I'm looking to buy a new set of forks for my Marin wolf ridge 2009, what is the largest fork that i can safely fit on it. :?:

Thanks
    Try emailing Marin, or their distributors. Good luck.
    And if you do get any sense, let us know (I've been waiting for an answer for ages)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    As yeeha said... but I dont think i'd go bigger than 160mm on a Wolf.

But TBH, i's stick with 140/150mm
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Dunno if it's going to prove safe in the long run, but I got 160s on mine, and it totally rocks. Mine had the same frame as the Attack Trail of the same year (minus iscg tabs) which came with a 160mm RS fork, so...
  • jamojaw
    jamojaw Posts: 89
    I have the same frame running the original pike. If you got a 160 travel fork that you could close down to a more useable travel for your normal riding, i cant see making much difference to the feel or rear sus handling.Wind it out for your big downhill way hey, Plus you may buy a new frame in the future that cries out for a 160.

That's my view for when i save some more pennies and swap the fork
  • Anonymous
    It's more than usable for whatever the hell "normal riding" is, even with the Fox 36 up front, it's absolutely fine.
  • jamojaw
    Was replying to wolfridgerider as he had started the thread not you buddy. I was suggesting that a larger fork would'nt hinder normal riding ( the more tame stuff before we get to the big stuff) as you could wind it down to 120mm or whatever you like. When the going gets rough wind it out.

Isn't that the point of adjustable travel, also future proofing your investments surely makes sense
  • Anonymous
    jamojaw wrote:
    Was replying to wolfridgerider as he had started the thread not you buddy. I was suggesting that a larger fork would'nt hinder normal riding ( the more tame stuff before we get to the big stuff) as you could wind it down to 120mm or whatever you like. When the going gets rough wind it out.

Isn't that the point of adjustable travel, also future proofing your investments surely makes sense
    Aaaand, I happen to own one, with a 160mm fork. And it rides up down and over just fine.
    Which is why I butted in.

As far as I'm concerned, travel adjust is just marketting nonsense so they can check one more box off the spec list.
  • jamojaw
    I'm glad you have no problems with your fork i truly am, but this thread was started by someone seeking advice and opinions. I have a wolfridge with a smaller 140 travel and yes most of the time i have it out full because i cant be arsed to switch it, but to say you cant notice any difference would be misleading to say the least. (even at 140) Everyone has their own ride style and preference with tyre choice + pressure, fork compression + rebound. So why not factor in the travel of the fork too.

Just to clarify, i would very much like a 160 fork when budget allows.

Key word here i think is Personal choice

p.s. yeehaamcgee, be honest, how many times have you really stalled a climb because the front end has lifted. If it is none, please tell us your secret.

Please don't let anything i have written here upset you, i write with a smile on my face and thoughts of the trail.
  • Anonymous
    Wow, you crazy hippie.
    I never said that there's no difference, I said it was absolutely fine with 160s. I regularly climb up some stupid gradients, the only time I loop out is when my technique is lacking. Rear wheel traction plays a far greater role in the steepness of climbs that can be cleared, than a minor increase in fork length.
  • jamojaw
    Crazy hippy lol. Not at all. You seem very angry at me for sharing my opinion. Technique does play a big role in climbing I agree. In fact I dont see anywhere that I disagreed,nor insulted you. Tell you what, put your hand bag and let's leave it at that.
  • jamojaw
    Crazy hippy lol. Not at all. You seem very angry at me for sharing my opinion. Technique does play a big role in climbing I agree. In fact I dont see anywhere that I disagreed,nor insulted you. Tell you what, put your hand bag and let's leave it at that.
  • Anonymous
    listen, sunshine. Why in your mind is it fine for you to have an opinion, but mine is somehow invalid?
    Like I said, I know the bike is fine with 160s. You don't. Give it a rest.
  • jamojaw
    No your opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. Your first reply to what o was leaving to someone else was just dismissive and the way I read it a little aggressive. I think you may be a little hot headed, which maybe the reason for not reading any of my reasonable and civil responses correctly and actually winding your self
  • Anonymous
    jamojaw wrote:
    No your opinions are just as valid as anyone else's.
    Ok, so that's settled. You need to stop being dismissive of other people's opinions and experiences. It really does clash very badly with your supposed "peace and love" philosophy.
  • jamojaw
    Sorry you think I was being dismissive of your opinion, it was never my intent. I actually have never disagreed with you anywhere over the past threads. I have no peace and love philosophy either, nor could you class me as a hippy. But all that said I do want a bigger fork so i shall watch this space for updates from wolfridgerider.