carbon steerer help needed !!

mr_sj
mr_sj Posts: 507
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
im looking at getting some new forks and they have a carbon steerer as opposed to the ones i currently have that are carbon with an alu steerer.

i know they will need a bung type top cap instead of a star nut one and am i right in thinking they also require spacers to be placed above the stem ? and if so how much is advisable ?

also, at the moment i have a ritchey comp alu stem and bars, can these still be used with a carbon steerer or would i need to change to carbon stem and bars ?

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    you can keep your current stem & bars. Lots of different views on the need for a spacer above the stem, but I have 5mm above mine. Lots of people have more than that anyway, regardless of whether they have a carbon steerer or not... ;)
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Be ultra careful when tightening the stem bolts, the top of a carbon steerer is a weak point, hence the use of a spacer above the stem. Use carbon paste on the steerer, where the stem clamps on to it.
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    i dont have a torque wrench so i will probably just take it into my lbs to do the job, would rather play it safe for the sake of a fiver !!

cheers for the advice
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I don't have a torque wrench either - just nip the bolts up enough to stop the stem turning on the steerer, is all you need to do..
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    I've got a Real Design all carbon forks and I hold my hands up I've done everything wrong with a star nut fitted no spacer above [I've learn't something there] fitted.No torque wrench used.

Never had a problem but through injury haven't ridden for a year.

I think this is a good post as I said I have learn't something here but other than weight, what are the benefits of full carbon forks because all these do's and dont's aren't good for the confidence in the robustness of carbon.

Saying that I'm hoping to ride again soon and have just won some Reynolds all carbon forks on ebay. Which raises another question, the Reynolds have been painted British Racing Green, I may think about removing the paint, which begs the question can it be done ?
    Cheers, Scurry
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    To remove paint from carbon, sand it down with a medium grade emergy paper and plenty of elbow grease, followed by successive grades of wet / dry. Don't use paint-stripper!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    Thanks for that, I think it'll stay green, wet and dry however fine wouldn't return it to it's original look I suspect, the guy selling it say's the forks wer painted by Enigma so should be a pro job,
    Cheers again, scurry