How to improve

calonuk
calonuk Posts: 78
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
My commute is a 26 mile round trip. I usually cycle a minimum of 3 days but average 4 - 5 days a week on a Cube hybrid with 700x35c, and average 14-15.5 mph. I weigh in at 106kg (lost 6.6kg since cycling : D )and normally have a at least a 5kg back pack on the pannier. I have been cycling for about 3 months now and lately have been feeling disappointed with my speed and ability to reduce my time on my journey ranging from 50-55mins each way.

What is the best way to improve without reducing weight on the bike or changing to a road bike. (before anyone suggests :lol: )

exercise.png

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Losing weight from your body is effectively losing weight from the bike. 15mph seems a fine average for commuting, especially as it's often stop/start. Chances are you'll get faster as you get lighter anyway, as your power to weight ratio increases, but if you really want to do something specific maybe you could incorporate interval training into your commute to try and boost your aerobic capacity.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • kamiokande
    kamiokande Posts: 55
    Thats not bad going considering the 5kg added weight. Firstly, ensure your tyres are at proper pressure, if they're knobbly then you could consider getting some slick (as long as your commute is all on tarmac) or narrower tyres although I can't see them knocking much time off. The best way, of course, is to just keep it up, you'll get quicker and it'll cost nothing!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mantra:

It never gets easier, it just gets faster

Patience young padawan :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    There gets to point where improvements will be in seconds rather than minutes. Your expectations might be unrealistic if you're expecting to knock chunks of time off.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd swap the 700x35s for 700x28s. You'll accelerate a bit faster and the bike will feel more responsive. For commuting I'd run them around 90psi to keep some comfort factor but also low rolling resistance.

I'd also think about some interval training, loads of web pages with advice on that.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • calonuk
    ATM my tyres are Schwable road cruisers with plans to change to marathon plus for winter.

Hopefully along the way my aim is to lose another 12kg (ie 2 st).

I have been trying lately to time the first section of my comute (about 6miles) to under 20mins but only managing 22-23 mins. just seems legs and breath give up. Just been stuggling to think of what to do next.

I would ideally like to get the commute to 45min each way consistantly but not sure if that is possible as that would mean increase in average up to 17.5mph

exercise.png
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    calonuk wrote:
    ATM my tyres are Schwable road cruisers with plans to change to marathon plus for winter.

Hopefully along the way my aim is to lose another 12kg (ie 2 st).

I have been trying lately to time the first section of my comute (about 6miles) to under 20mins but only managing 22-23 mins. just seems legs and breath give up. Just been stuggling to think of what to do next.

Maybe try intervals? Works for runners. Flat out for a mile, cruise to regain breath for a mile, hell for leather again, then cruise. Averages may not immediately improve but they should in time.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    calonuk wrote:
    seems legs and breath give up. Just been stuggling to think of what to do next.

Breathing should benefit from interval training as I said earlier (if you're overweight, it might be wise to check with your GP before tackling anything too strenuous, mind). But if you're getting breathless, I suspect that physiologically you'll be improving anyway.

On the other hand, if you're asthmatic and it's induced by exercise, you might benefit more from getting an inhaler.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited June 2011
    The biggest benefit in rolling resistance comes from tyre pressures, run them at the maximum permitted for the rear tyre, you can usually run the front a little softer with minimal effect on resistance but a big effect on comfort.

My commute times (6.7 miles) dropped quite quickly when I started, now the average is probably only a handful of seconds better than 2 months ago!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • calonuk
    Thanks for the advice everyone,

Sounds as tho intervals will be the way to go then. Something new to try next week :lol:

Although might rest for 2 miles to start with especially on the first couple of attempts :roll: should just about get 4 intervals in each way.

ATM just praying these bloody rain showers stop in time to go home as i cycled in shorts and t-shirt this morning and do not have my wets with me.

exercise.png
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    calonuk wrote:

ATM just praying these bloody rain showers stop in time to go home as i cycled in shorts and t-shirt this morning and do not have my wets with me.
    Work harder=get fitter & stay warm when wet :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    calonuk wrote:

Work harder=get fitter & stay warm when wet :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjR4_CbPpQ

plagiarism
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:
    Losing weight from your body is effectively losing weight from the bike.

Not like for like though. Otherwise, with my super lightness I'd be able to ride a Pashley quicker than most people on carbon!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    dhope wrote:
    Maybe try intervals? Works for runners. Flat out for a mile, cruise to regain breath for a mile, hell for leather again, then cruise. Averages may not immediately improve but they should in time.
    I tried something like that but couldn't manage flat out for the time I was supposed to be flat out for :wink:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rolf F wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Losing weight from your body is effectively losing weight from the bike.

Not like for like though. Otherwise, with my super lightness I'd be able to ride a Pashley quicker than most people on carbon!

It's obviously no good losing cycling muscle but I don't think the OP is at risk of that.

As for improvement, a guy called Duane came up with an empirical model that basically says: all things being equal (ie you continue to do the same thing) your rate of improvement will diminish with time.

The trick is to do something different. Intervals is one thing or seek out a longer/more difficult route or even take a week off (if you haven't recently) and let your body recover.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    suzyb wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    I tried something like that but couldn't manage flat out for the time I was supposed to be flat out for :wink:

Maybe substitute the occasional flat out for a lie down.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Stay off the cream , cheese , biscuits and crisps.

When cycling , cycle fast enough ( now and again ) to get out of breath.

Snack on healthy things if you're hungry during the day- bananas / malt loaf , in between breakfast / lunch and evening meal.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Get a road bike? Hybrids simply aren't designed to allow you to go at faster speeds while still remaining comfortable. You won't significantly improve your 15.5mph (in an urban environment I assume?) unless you get a lighter bike with a geometry more conducive to speed.

Otherwise, all the above :)
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    notsoblue wrote:
    Get a road bike? Hybrids simply aren't designed to allow you to go at faster speeds while still remaining comfortable. You won't significantly improve your 15.5mph (in an urban environment I assume?) unless you get a lighter bike with a geometry more conducive to speed.

Otherwise, all the above :)
    +1. The upright position of a hybrid is going to cost you time. 15 mph is ok if you are sitting up. I put clip-on tri bars on my MTB and it made a big difference to commute time before I switched to a road bike. I also got some strange looks but who cares ?
    You should also try going deliberately slow sometimes, it makes you more efficient.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Picking up my new road bike on Thursday largely because I know I am overweight and out of condition and want to do something about it. I am going to have to disclpline myself to remember that, after the hopefully very successful initial period when my weight should drop off, muscles build, and fitness improve fairly quickly, the law of diminiishing returns sets in. It is easier to shave weight from the rider than from the bike, but it is impossible to continue to lose weight indefinitely-you'd dissappear-and there is a limit to how much fitter you get.

At this point it must become depressing if you expected the weight loss/fitness gain to continue and it isn't, but if you stop you will rapidly gain weight and lose fitness. You will have become an addict, dependent on the excersise to maintain your condition but unable to improve it. Is this the desired result?

Yes, it is.