moving spds

Rooner
Rooner Posts: 109
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Well, I took the plunge a month ago and got my first set of clipless for my road bike (commuting on M520s and DHB shoes). No pratfalls yet, and really enjoying them.

I do a bit of running as well, and the last week the ol achilles has flared up, so no running for a fortnight and I thought I would move the spd clips further back (they were probably a bit far forward and this apparently can aggravate the heel).

Rode in this morning, first junction.......almost off, didn't realise a 1cm further back spd disengages so differently from what it did. Only a total panic wrench of the other foot saved me. Move on 4 miles, going around a 'convenient' fence across the cycle lane.....even closer to falling, only managed to get the foot out at the last minute (would have had a soft landing in the muddy side of the hedge).

Need to practice again in car park I think before journey home in rush hour traffic!

Comments

• king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Maybe try reducing the tension on the pedals?

I've slackened my ones right off whilst I get used to them. So far so good, although I've tempted fate now! :?
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    yeah, I've done that, and up until moving the cleats back there's been no problems at all, not even on the first day of using them. I'm sure its just practice. Don't know if its psychological, but achilles feels much better today, even walking around its not too bad. Probably a combination of the running and a careless set up that have made it flare up.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Weird one this.

I have the same pedals and I noticed I had a few hairy moments with my left foot. It was difficult to get out and even stopped once with my right leg down I couldn't get out of the left pedal at home without some force.

I double checked all 4 adjusters on the ones on the left were wound up nearer the top end of the tension!? Either someone has played a practical joke on me or they have wound themselves up over time. I reset all 4 again back to full minus and then "3 clicks up"
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3