Aesthetic saddle/bar tape faux pas?

Duffer65
Duffer65 Posts: 341
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
My bike, until recently had a white saddle and white bar tape. However, due to the fact the saddle seemed to get grubby by just looking at it, I have replaced it with a black one. At the moment I am keeping the bar tape white as it is quite easy to keep clean, and I think the b&w contrast looks ok.

The problem is that I believe I have inadvertently committed an aesthetic faux pas! Is it 'permitted' to have a white bike with a black saddle and white bar tape? Or should I be re-wrapping my bars black asap before the Bicycle Colour Co-ordination Police lock me up and throw away the key? :?
Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!

Comments

• pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    edited June 2011
    http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/#8

Seriously though - if you like it, keep it. But that sort of thing would do my head in.

P.S. Yes, the Allez in my sig has white bar tape, but I've since changed it to black.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    The bicycle police are on there way A.S.A.P. :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    My old Dawes has white bar tape and black saddle. It came that way, it looks good. My Look has black bar tape and a largely white saddle. It also looks good. My ribble has a black saddle and black bar tape - it looks no better than the other bikes. Anyone who tells you otherwise is the sort of person that has to have their taste defined by someone else!

I might have a different opinion if, instead of a saddle, there was another pair of handlebars at the top of the seat post but saddles and handlebars are different things so it doesn't matter if they don't match colour wise. Crikey, next they'll be telling us we can't have seat and chainstays different colours!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My current bike has black bar tape and a white Fizik saddle :cry:

although to be fair, the saddle has only been on a week!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    pbt150 wrote:
    http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/#8

Seriously though - if you like it, keep it. But that sort of thing would do my head in.

P.S. Yes, the Allez in my sig has white bar tape, but I've since changed it to black.

I wish people would stop posting links to those stupid fecking rules.....
    More problems but still living....
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    How can you live with yourself - black seat, white bike, white handlebar tape :shock:

(in jest)
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I thought i'd try red bar tape, black saddle on a white allez (red striped tyres- was trying to match) i used to have.

It looked to $hit it hurt my soul. I had to change it back to black immediately.

the above made me a fan of matching- but i say do what you want to do.

I'm definitely understand not being a fan of white saddles- i just can't be bothered with the upkeep.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do whatever you want. Bikes are for riding - not looking at.

Personally I cant really see my saddle when I'm riding it - so why would I be bothered what colour it was ?
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    cougie wrote:

Personally I cant really see my saddle when I'm riding it - so why would I be bothered what colour it was ?

Crikey. Bet you are fun at parties.

OP - Definitely sort it out . Girls will think your smelly otherwise
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Who cares what others think, it's yours and if you like it, go for it.

Personally i'd leave the white on as well, I find white much more elegant than black on bikes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Crikey. Bet you are fun at parties.

So having a OCD issue over whether your saddle is the same colour as your bar tape does make you fun at parties?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    :D
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    White tape and black saddle :shock:

I suppose you have an Italian frame with Shimano too :twisted:
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    andi1363 wrote:
    I just threw up in my mouth a little... :(
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Get some kids thick colouring pens and give the bar tape a make over. Problem solved.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    andi1363 wrote:
    White tape and black saddle :shock:

How did you know? I suppose you're going to criticise my mtb mudguards as well? :wink:

I'm sure you are all dying to know the outcome of my quandary...I decided to be co-ordinated and go with black seat and black bar tape. So you can all rest easy now.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!