Why is Halfords hated so much????

13»

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Right I know this is an old thread, and when it comes to bikes I am somewhat in the dark. But after owning a a new Diamondback for all of two months, and having no luck with either reliability, or my inability to do simple tasks, I find myself wondering why I did not just go to Halfords in the first place and get one of their low tech monstrositys. You may think I am mad, thats ok, so do I, but i am beggining to think they cater for the niche of people who are zero technically minded, i.e. me! After spending a good £450 on this here Diamondback,it will soon find itself up for sale, for as wel as highligting my inability to maintian what some believe are simple mechanics, its also highligthed the fact that I would prefer an engine in my two wheels rather than just me. For what a bike essentaily is, there is no way any bike should cost more than £200, they should be as low tech as possible. Sadly I will be ditchin the high teck Diamondback for my old Marin clunker, complete with V brakes, unsafe riding position and bad design. I hate the fact that i have so disaterously been put off cycling, but that sadly is the case, now I wil have to take up walking, which is something I hate even more.
    Oh dear you do have a lot to learn, don't you ......
  • cbriddon wrote:
    .......but when they are good they are easily as good as any LBS.

As good as a bad LBS maybe but nowhere near as good as a LBS whose livelihood depends upon their bike business
    cbriddon wrote:
    You also get the bonus of buying the excellent Boardman bikes for a price that no LBS could match on a spec/price comparison.

Thats a bit like saying BMW garages are good because you can buy BMW's at arpice only they can offer- a statement of the obvious however you miss the entire point that there are tens if not hundreds of alternatives to Boardman bikes which are better and which wouldn't allow Halfords to stock them, even if they wanted.

If you want a range of bikes to try out, you don't go to Halfords. I got my C2W bike via Halfords but from a reputable brand and the muppet who took the bike out of the box clearly didn't even know how to so up the headset properly.
  • bouncyboy
    bouncyboy Posts: 25
    I went in the other day to see if they had any prices on Sram stuff for my Winter bike (not a long shot as some of the boardman bikes are equipped with it) I went to the 'Head Mechanic' and asked about a bottom bracket and he asked and I quote 'what is that, is it part of a bike?' I said yes and explained what it was and he came out with a car part :shock: I said thanks and left.... If thats what the mechanic knows then I would hate to have him putting together my pride and joy!!
    Bouncy :)

under 16 (A) racer
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    edited April 2012
    cbriddon wrote:
    .......but when they are good they are easily as good as any LBS.

As good as a bad LBS maybe but nowhere near as good as a LBS whose livelihood depends upon their bike business
    cbriddon wrote:
    You also get the bonus of buying the excellent Boardman bikes for a price that no LBS could match on a spec/price comparison.

Thats a bit like saying BMW garages are good because you can buy BMW's at arpice only they can offer- a statement of the obvious however you miss the entire point that there are tens if not hundreds of alternatives to Boardman bikes which are better and which wouldn't allow Halfords to stock them, even if they wanted.

If you want a range of bikes to try out, you don't go to Halfords. I got my C2W bike via Halfords but from a reputable brand and the muppet who took the bike out of the box clearly didn't even know how to so up the headset properly.

I would love to know what these bikes are because when I did extensive research last year and visited bike shop after bike shop I couldn't find anything close to a Boardman Comp for spec, quality and price. For £700 it was miles ahead of anything else i could find at that price.

The bikes snobs can look down their noses at me on my Boardman, I don't really give a s**t. I know it is at least as good as some of the more expensive ones they are riding.

Are Boardmans not a reputable brand?

Bollocks, of course they are.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • kbmack
    kbmack Posts: 73
    edited April 2012
    Your boardman is a fine bike, I guess the main thrust of the thread is about service. Unfortunately I was sold a 58cm Carrera tdf by halfords for a bloke that is 5ft 8ins! Anyhow, I did 5 sportives with this massive bike and generally finished in the top 40 in each of them! Armed with some knowledge I now have a more appropriate bike! I now finish in the top 300......only joking!

Bike snobbery is a problem but it tends to reflect wealth for a lot of riders, rather than ability. As I am learning, it really is in the legs.
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    only experience of buying a bike off halfords was a cheapo mountain bike for a friend who was visiting for a few months and just wanted a way of getting around, so for £80 i wasnt expecting much.
    im sure boardmans are a good bike, but I wouldnt buy one, purely because, they come from halfords and in my mind halfords = stick on tat for chavvy saxos.
    So, my perception of halfords has nothing to do with the bikes they sell, its because of the other stuff they sell and the customers they attract.
    completely irrational I know, but thats why i wouldnt buy a bike there.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sorry to hear of your continued troubles Cluelessbiker. Nothing wrong with Marin bikes of course or V-brakes for that matter, they were a great straightforward package and pretty indestructible.

Maybe what you need to do is find a tech-savvy mate who will do maintenance jobs on your bike for a suitable doughnut-shaped fee; like my mates do!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I do have tech savvy mates but what dissapoints me most is the fact that if I walk, I need wallet keys and my mobile, if I drive I just need the addition of my car keys. If I go our for a ride I need spare inner tubes, pump, and all other manner of tools, maybe some can see why cycling is not the clear winner it should be. What puzzles me is when I see others out on their bikes, they have nothing, just get on and ride, which is what cycling should be. Anyway one three month old Diamondback Response heading for the small ads anytime soon.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Surely if you drive you need spare wheel, petrol can, jump leads?

Cycling does require a bit of physical effort, but as far as tools etc. go I just leave mine on the bike all the time. I hardly ever go anywhere near most of it. My cheapo Dawes is exactly what you're after by the sounds of things; lights that come on automatically (dynamo), strong puncture resistant tyres (needs something nail-sized to get through) and permanent on-board luggage capacity.

In fact, thinking about it, to me the disadvantages you point out actually qualify as advantages! I can't maintain my car to anywhere near the extent that I can maintain my bicycle; I'm heavily reliant on my local garage and I don't like that.

Never mind eh.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I do have tech savvy mates but what dissapoints me most is the fact that if I walk, I need wallet keys and my mobile, if I drive I just need the addition of my car keys. If I go our for a ride I need spare inner tubes, pump, and all other manner of tools, maybe some can see why cycling is not the clear winner it should be. What puzzles me is when I see others out on their bikes, they have nothing, just get on and ride, which is what cycling should be. Anyway one three month old Diamondback Response heading for the small ads anytime soon.

Hardly a fair point on the tools. You quote a couple of bits that will see you capable of a roadside fix and carrying on, good as new. Do you not have a spare tyre & pump in your car then? Failing to see the difference TBH.

As for all other manner of tools. What exactly do you routinely need other than pump, tyre lever & patch kit? Throw in 3-4 allen keys, a spare universal cable and a chain link & for the cost of a pocket you've got an AA vans worth of fixability at a tiny fraction of the money & time inconvenience & equipment needed to diagnose & fix a car breakdown.

Cycling ain't for everyone fair enough but save us the lame non-justification for ditching it.