Hex vs QR Clamping Force Redux

TuckerUK
TuckerUK Posts: 369
edited July 2011 in The Crudcatcher
To whoever locked the original topic, it's wasn't answered!

I just want to know whether, with the cup & cone hubs adjusted correctly, will the hex skewers clamp as tight as the QR. I've just check with my youngest (10), even he thinks that's a simple question.

The answer will take one of two forms:

Yes

or

No, no way you can get hexes to give the same axle tension as QRs, they snap!

If you don't know the answer to this simple question (a clue will be it isn't one of the above answers), don't know how top adjust hubs, want to talk about something else entirely (why do kids steal QRs, racists remarks about people from Norfolk, etc.) then do the whole forum a favour and post elsewhere.
"Coming through..."

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I was not aware that people from Norfolk were a seperate race. Thank you for pointing that out.
    I still want to know why kids steal QR's though, couldn't sleep last night. Could they be using them as giant piercings?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    I didn't read the original topic but I'd think a Hex key skewer could tighten more than a QR. So my answer is yes.

• cooldad
    Aaah but will they snap?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    cooldad wrote:
    Aaah but will they snap?

If you over tighten them yes :wink:

It's an interesting question though. The reviews on CRC about the Halo Hex keys are mixed. Some report snapping, others don't suggesting they can almost certainly be over tightened.

Good tension is fairly obvious with a QR but how do you know when the correct tension is achieved with allen key skewers?

I now await my row for not providing a concise answer :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They will snap if you overtighten them, the same as a QR.

If you have an identical skewer with a different head on the end (allen or QR) then the axle will take the same amount of force before it snaps. In both cases that amount is too much.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • TuckerUK
    I was not aware that people from Norfolk were a seperate race

You obviously haven't seen them!

Keep up, these day even travellers (people live in caravans on someone else's land) are a separate race.
    I still want to know why kids steal QR's though, couldn't sleep last night.

Because the nice black aluminium alloy Shimano ones are way better than the chrome steel ones that come on budget bikes? No wonder you have trouble with complex subjects like hub adjustment!

OK, I've been offered a front hex skewer on another forum to 'test'. I'll make a video when I get it and post the results here.

To the Management.

As mods set the tone of the whole forum, perhaps you should consider removing moderator status from whoever locked the original unanswered topic?
    "Coming through..."
  • cooldad
    You want Supersonic removed as a mod?
    I think you are in a minority of one.
    The most patient, helpful person on here.

I would suggest leaving him, and banning all the other idiots who post random nonesense on sensible topics.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Sonic:Banstick_Hyah.jpglol
  • bails87
    TuckerUK wrote:
    Keep up, these day even travellers (people live in caravans on someone else's land) are a separate race.

OK, I've been offered a front hex skewer on another forum to 'test'. I'll make a video when I get it and post the results here.

1. Romany or Irish Travellers are a different race to the English, English people from Norfolk are not a different race to English people from the rest of the country.

2. What are you going to 'test'? Tighten it until it snaps?
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I locked the thread as the tone has changed and we were going around in circles. I will try and lay this out as simply as I can. There is no direct 'yes' or 'no' answer as there are too many products out there with different instructions.

Now SOME may, when torqued to the correct settings, be the same overall tension as the QR you are using, when THEY are used to their own instructions. Therefore if you have adjusted to hub to accept the QR, your goal is reached.

Some models may NOT however. Some may be able to go higher, not as high, or have a torque range. I went on in the other thread to provide adjustment methods not only for the OPs benefit, but everyone, plus safety of using fasteners. THE ONLY WAY TO FIND OUT IS TO FIT ONE, TORQUE IT, AND SEE IF THE WHEEL SPINS FREELY WITH NO PLAY.

NEVER GO OVER THE MAX TORQUE VALUE OR THEY MAY SNAP.

In the original thread you wrote:
    Because that is the correct way to A: adjust cup & cone bearings for QR use, and B: the correct way to tighten a QR (i.e. tight). Please read the above links I posted.

I clearly said not to overtighten the fastener. Correct hub adjustment will work with the correct adjustment of the fastener. Don't force a fastener to remove excessive play from a hub - instead adjust the hub to the required looseness to work with the properly adjusted fastener. As before, a tiny amount of play works for many set ups, plus hub adjustment has a range of acceptable values.

To tighten a QR, MOST (do check) recommend to do up the acorn nut while testing the QR lever. When you feel an increase in prressure at 80-90 degrees from closed, this is the correct amount. Shut the lever. However some QRs exert more force than others depending on design.
  • TuckerUK
    Romany or Irish Travellers are a different race to the English, English people from Norfolk are not a different race to English people from the rest of the country.

Travellers who are neither Romany or Irish are still classed are a separate 'race' by the PC brigade (i.e. government, local councils, etc.).

Is it not in the realms of possibility for people to check facts before posting?

I won't have anything to add until the video is up, which hopefully should be simple enough for everyone to grasp.
    "Coming through..."
  • bails87
    TuckerUK wrote:

Travellers who are neither Romany or Irish are still classed are a separate 'race' by the PC brigade (i.e. government, local councils, etc.).

Is it not in the realms of possibility for people to check facts before posting?

Yeah, like I said
    Romany or Irish Travellers are a different race to the English, English people from Norfolk are not a different race to English people from the rest of the country.

Also, PC brigade....http://www.pcbrigade.co.uk/
    Award winning data and network systems for Preston.
    ?
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    As we have gone off topic again, I shall once more lock the thread.

We need to stick to the topic in hand guys, for everyone's sake. And less of the sarcasm.
  • supersonic
    Actually, if you want to carry on I'll let you. In the CC!
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    supersonic wrote:
    Actually, if you want to carry on I'll let you. In the CC!

shouldnt this be in the Hub??

anyway just my t'pence worth

Use QR's - i have not backing for this statement other than they are easier to undo if you need to/transporting the bike, and i have never broken a set nor had them come loose and i break something at least once a day,
  • supersonic
    I thought rather than locking it, I'd put it here.
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    CRUD CATCHER FTW!!!!!

I see this thread being resolved in only a few posts now it's been moved to the correct forum. :D
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    WOOHOO, a CC topic about Skewers.

where is fully-sprung at? he loves topics like this.

Why is someone from Norfolk on a MTB forum anyway? it's flatter than a Whitch's tit round there. what can you possibly use a MTB for.

Clearly the best way to have a skewer is welded on.

Or held in place with Sky-hooks.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I'll Skewer your topic in a minute!!!
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    I use kebab skewers, the grease keeps the hubs lubricated.
    MTB/CX

• crazy88
    Why do witches have small tits? Is there ever a real witch with massive bangers? If so, i'd skewer her and perform a quick release.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    You've not got a good topic skewering in you!

Also, FYI, the best kind of skewer is a bacon skewer.....

Bacon_Skewers.jpg
  • Gazlar
    crazy88 wrote:
    Why do witches have small tits? Is there ever a real witch with massive bangers? If so, i'd skewer her and perform a quick release.

What about Wizadora or Sabrina?

Wizadoravhs.jpg
    skaubbbszslge0i.jpg
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • crazy88
    Sabrina 100% yes, already imagined it. Wizadora...oh go on then! That outfit turns me on.
  • cooldad
    Gazlar wrote:
    I'll Skewer your topic in a minute!!!
    You don't have a good stiff skewer in you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gazlar
    crazy88 wrote:
    Sabrina 100% yes, already imagined it. Wizadora...oh go on then! That outfit turns me on.

Although looking at that photo, you'll have to stave off Yeehaa's advances on her ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • crazy88
    Isn't this what spitroast's are for?

Any other kids tv presenters/ actresses you quite fancied when younger? There was loads for me! I'm off to google some.
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Michaela Strachan.....................Still!!!!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • cooldad
    Valerie Singleton.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 101_North