Riding with cough/cold

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I picked up a cold last week (near death man flu) and have been off the bike since due to wheezing and general chesty cough. I am itching to get back to commuting by bike....do you chaps just MTFU and cycle through it, or is the perceived wisdom to take a break until its cleared up..?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think perceived wisdom is to take a break but actual action is to MTFU! It's what I do anyway.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If it's what I had you'd do well to get an undertaker in on a sale or return basis, and explain to your OH that you'll be needing some support through this difficult time.

My energy levels are still on the floor, over three weeks after I first contracted it. Man it's tough. Rode in today for the first time in a while; it felt like the early days of commuting the 20+ miles again.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Take it easy if you can. If you have a chest infection riding can certainly prolong the misery, if not make it worse. Go to your GP and ask his advice. I did with something similar and a week of antibiotics cleared it up.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Depends on your constitution- I'm (touch wood) lucky enough not to get floored by these things, so I ignore them as best I can & get on with life. I wouldn't extend my commute if I'm feeling rough but for me not-cycling isn't really an option, so I just MTFU and get on with it.
    I don't believe I've ever had "flu", I just get bad colds (ie I may feel rough but I'm perfectly capable of getting out of bed and dealing with life)... long may that continue!!!

I know other people who get completely floored by bugs that get passed around. I don't think they would be able to cycle even if they wanted to... Listen to your body!

Cheers,
    W.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I work on the basis that if I'm too rough to ride, I'm too rough to go to work.

I was completely floored by some virus about 3.5 years ago. Was crawling home, as if I had done 100 miles on and run out of food and water long before then. No way I was getting on PT in that state.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I read a quote once - if you stop exercising a cold can last two weeks, if you carry on it will last up to 14 days.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    In general, if it's a headcold (stuffed nose etc) then you're fine to keep going. I always think that getting some exercise helps sweat it out of you.

If it's in the chest though, best to take a break for a few days until it clears up a bit - or at least until doing anything strenuous doesn't make you take a coughing fit.