New wheels ( is this good deal?)

ads77
ads77 Posts: 57
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am looking to get some new wheels to replace my American classic 350 sprints. I found these and wondered I it was a good deal.

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=104340

Or any other ideas for long country and sportive rides?

Cheers.[/img]

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    in that price range - Shimano RS80s
  • Ciclicasati
    Ciclicasati Posts: 740
    If theyre anything like my Sram AL 30 Race then they are very nice wheels, really nice. Wide rims are very comfortable and fast yet. They spin up very nicely and very stiff.
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Try Sigma sport £413 on their site.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • ads77
    Thanks all.

The bike has sram rival groupset, i assume the shimano wheels will be ok ( may be a daft question!!!)

Thanks.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    yes shimano and sram share the same block for your cassette
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Yes, Shimano and SRAM cassettes are interchangeable.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    OP - My advice is to avoid SRAM wheels.

The AL30 looks good on paper but I've had nothing but trouble with them and I haven't heard anything good from bike shops I've spoken to either.

The whole range apparently is plagued by spokes that break for no reason and I'm not impressed by the rear hub (the axle bends if you do up the QR too tight which causes binding on the freehub). The AL30's are light but they're light because the hubs are flimsy and they don't have enough spokes, the rims are heavy enough that they don't accellerate as well as my RS80's.

Get some RS80's or some DA carbon laminate wheels instead. You won't regret it, both have very light, tough rims and over engineered hubs (i.e. should last and last).
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I could never really get my head round the radial lacing on the drive side of those SRAM wheels - I'm sure there's a rational explanation somewhere, but I could never find it....
  • Or stick with the american classic brand and try the Aero 420'S
  • liamb93
    liamb93 Posts: 48
    whats wrong with the sprint 350s ?
  • ads77
    Great help, Thanks all!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That is an amazing price for 2011 Elites!!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • In my own opinion Mavic Wheels are the best. From the lowest priced to the highest the build quality can be noticed throughout. The perfect wheel for every rider.