Leopard

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Nygaard is going to announce they'll be Starbucks - Trek for the Tour.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    Say what?!
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    *checks watch*

It's not 1 April is it??
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Cannot wait to that kit! :lol:

Think at the feeds they'll be handing out Espresso?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Really?

Team Star Trek. Marvellous.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I was expecting a big sponsor to land in time for the tour, but really, why didn't they just sign up at the start of the season? They've missed months of exposure. At least we won't have the whole "lay-oh-pard" thing inflicted on us any more.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    BigMat wrote:
    I was expecting a big sponsor to land in time for the tour, but really, why didn't they just sign up at the start of the season? They've missed months of exposure. At least we won't have the whole "lay-oh-pard" thing inflicted on us any more.

Because to most sponsors, they only care about 3 weeks in July. You get most bang for your buck signing on just before the Tour.

Remember, it went from High Horse -> Columbia -> HTC just before the Tour started too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    iainf72 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Because to most sponsors, they only care about 3 weeks in July. You get most bang for your buck signing on just before the Tour.

Remember, it went from High Horse -> Columbia -> HTC just before the Tour started too.

I think Garmin did the same - I just find it a bit odd. Leopard have been like mobile billboards all season, I just don't see the benefit to them or a sponsor in waiting until just before the tour to do a deal. Also, its not like they have overperformed so far.

Just spotted that Sky will be in the green kit of the tour, would be amusing if Starbucks-Trek just change the blue stripe to Starbucks green as well!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Wait a second... So not having a main sponsor on their jerseys wasn't some grand statement on the purity of the team and them being about sport rather than money?

Colour me stunned.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • A(nother) reason not to like them really, IMHO of course.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Which re-emphasises the point that to most people the TDF is the only show in town.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Are Starbucks going to introduce an "Andy Schleck special edition" coffee for the Tour - "Flat shite"?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • There's the obvious 'disappointing chain' reference for those seeking low hanging fruit.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Also mid season change of kit con.

Hopefully old kit will be sold off cheap.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Well, any new sponsors for any team is good news... poor old Sky though, opting for their green kit version for the Tour and now what are the chances that Starbucks-Trek new kit is a green version of their current one. Just need Garmin-Cervelo to go green and we'll have a full set again :lol:

starbucks-logo.jpg
  • sonny73
    RichN95 wrote:
    Really?

:lol:
  • sonny73
    edited June 2011
    RichN95 wrote:
    Really?

New kit and bikes revealed:

spock-riding-enterprize-powered-bike.jpg
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    LangerDan wrote:
    Are Starbucks going to introduce an "Andy Schleck special edition" coffee for the Tour - "Flat shite"?

or skinny lightweight :oops:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    Starbucks are pleased to announced their new range of products:

Schleck Latte: A tall skinny latte
    Schleck Latte Supreme: A stronger version of the above (only available in July and one week in April)
    Schleck Spa: As above, but the manager will stop everyone drinking for ten minutes while you wait for it
    Schleck Americano: For our California market - a weak coffee made with little effort. You'll wonder why anyone bothered.
    O'Grady Grande: secretly an unlicensed pint of Fosters
    Wegmann Expresso: So strong it will make you pull a funny face
    Bennati Expresso: Made with coffee three years past its sell by date. We've got a nerve still calling it an expresso
    Linusacchino: Girl's drink

To eat:

Spartacus Cobbler: A hand made roll. The ladies seem to think it's a bit tasty. It's definitely hand made and not by a machine as some people seem to think
    Spartacus Cobbler 2011: As above, but comes with an unwanted side dish of Norwegian meatballs

Customers who have drunk too many expressos and have got overexcited and can't stop talking are invited to calm down in the Jens Voigt lounge.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Richard, you hath excelled yourself.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    LangerDan wrote:

That'll be all their coffee then.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    starbucks? it's a slippery slope. just wait until they try to rename Ventoux, Venti, col de la Colombiere, colombian, etc
  • patchy wrote:
    Richard, you hath excelled yourself.

Yes, well done there but can someone explain to me what an 'expresso' is?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Yep, because Starbucks are so evil, unlike those nice cosy banks
  • RichN95.

An alternative spelling of espresso. Typically French, which is why I spell it that way (having been to France far more than Italy).

For example:

expresso-PODx300.gif
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    "Wait a second... So not having a main sponsor on their jerseys wasn't some grand statement on the purity of the team and them being about sport rather than money?"

I'm not sure they ever claimed this. I thought it was pretty obvious that the jersey design was a "your name here" kind of thing.

By signing up now, Starbucks have probably got a cheaper deal than they would have done before the start of the season, not just because they're only getting exposure for part of the season but also because Leopard have not done as well as expected, perhaps not the all-conquering super-team they would have described themselves as pre-season.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Did all this start from a light-hearted twitter joke about Garmin and Leopard changing to jersey designs to match Team Sky?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sky in green, throw in Eurocar and now Star Trek - just as we were getting used to a host of black, white and blue jerseys. Is green the new black?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I really hope Harmon runs with Team Star Trek. He mildly annoyed Leopard by refusing to play ball with Leoeoeoeoepard
  • RichN95 wrote:

An alternative spelling of espresso. Typically French, which is why I spell it that way (having been to France far more than Italy).

For example:

expresso-PODx300.gif

Touche. I really should check these things out before embarking on my afternoon's pedantry!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Sonny73 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Really?

:lol:
    rebs wrote:
    I really hope Harmon runs with Team Star Trek. He mildly annoyed Leopard by refusing to play ball with Leoeoeoeoepard

:D

StarTrek will certainly be good for the Tweeters: the character count is efficient.