Now why did I do that?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited June 2011 in The Crudcatcher
I've just bought an SX Trail. What am I going to do now? I'm going to have to ride the thing at some point, and any attempt to do it justice is obviously going to turn me into a tree decoration.

Maybe I'll leave it outside, hopefully someone will steal it.
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Northwind wrote:
    I've just bought an SX Trail. What am I going to do now? I'm going to have to ride the thing at some point, and any attempt to do it justice is obviously going to turn me into a tree decoration.

Maybe I'll leave it outside, hopefully someone will steal it.

Give it to me... save someone a guilty conscience. I will pay postage.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Northwind
    I would accept your offer but due to the titanic weight of the thing, I don't think it'd be reasonable to ask you to pay the postage. Sorry!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Is it the Rootbeer coloured swoopy tubed (08-09?) model

If not. You got the wrong one.
  • Northwind
    It's the old one with the pierced downtube, and in a very boring grey colour. 07 I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    funny-pictures-bird-cat-cage.jpg[/img]
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Northwind
    Like that little bird, it was going cheap.

I can't believe I just said that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    :roll:
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Pictures!! You know the rules..
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    At least it'll be a lot of fun on the downs until it probably goes wrong due to said fun!
  • Northwind
    Pitchers, I'll get some. It's pretty ugly :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Is it the Rootbeer coloured swoopy tubed (08-09?) model

True... that was the sex.

Came with DC's too I think.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Northwind wrote:
    Pitchers, I'll get some. It's pretty ugly :lol:

i think i will be the judge of whether a bike is ugly or not thank you very much.

get 'er posted.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Is it the Rootbeer coloured swoopy tubed (08-09?) model

True... that was the sex.

Came with DC's too I think.

Quick search on the spesh website (which is very easy to navigate compared to some of their competitors btw) says that the one I'm thinking of is an '09 model, available in Gold and Rootbeer.

9395-30_SX_Trail_II_polishgold_d.jpg

Ben, were you thinking of the Demo from the same year?

To be fair, most of the time Spesh just turn out quite bland, boring bikes, but they have also come up with some of my all-time favourites.
  • Ahh.. no I was thinking the enduro... It was the 2008 enduro I saw in Evans, but always wanted the SX.

9386-350_l.jpg
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Ah yes, the older Enduros are another one of my all time faves, along with those new Enduro HDs

Edit: I mean Enduro Evo, not HD, that's the Mojo, which is also tasty.
  • sheepsteeth
    tasty.

thats what i obvious my necessary
  • sheepsteeth
    you havent got a necessary obviousing in you
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    You're all wrong, the red and black one was by far the best looking:
    6608.jpg
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • sheepsteeth
    i think those are superb looking frames.
  • Northwind
    I just went to weigh it and it pulled the nail that the scales hang off straight out of the rafter. That has not happened with previous bikes. It turns out that my Carbon 456 and this thing combined, weigh as much as 2 normal bikes. 39.29lbs

5864526736_5602fa5c31_b.jpg
    Blunt instrument by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

5864521576_972bda0576_b.jpg
    Blunt instrument 2 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

It's had a hard life, wheels aren't all that round :lol: Annoyingly it's got that daft specialized nonstandard dish so my nice 721 won't fit in the back. But otherwise no gripes... Just set about tweaking it a bit but I'm going to try and avoid spending any money on it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sheepsteeth
    so that thing weighs 39lbs on its own?
  • Northwind
    Yup. Dualplies, downhill components, coil suspension. I'll make a few changes that'll bring that down a bit but it's never going to be light
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you've bought that thing and still riding it like a sissy in 6 month's time, I'm going to drive up there and smack you one, then re-house with with a caring owner who'll thrash it like it always wanted.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    sx_frame.jpg

thats probably the nicest one

my friend recently got a 08 sx in the white and orange combo.riders really well.

i really like that! looks like a lot of fun is to be had on it.

btw whats with sx owners having black and white wheels. the guy my mate bought his off has a white front and a black rim on the back and i'v seen another one with black rim front and white rim on the back like yours
  • Northwind
    Well in this case, the reason it's got mismatched wheels is the front's original and the back's a rebuild onto the original hub, with an absolutely mahoosive bombproof rim. The front's surprisingly light, lighter than my Pro2/721.
    If you've bought that thing and still riding it like a sissy in 6 month's time, I'm going to drive up there and smack you one, then re-house with with a caring owner who'll thrash it like it always wanted.

:lol: I'm kind of deliberating over which bike to use for the Endurance DH at Fort William. Obviously this one makes more sense but the idea of using the Hemlock's still nicely stuck in my brain... OTOH, last time I rode the Hemlock at the world cup route I broke it a bit :lol:And you're not allowed to swap bikes mid-race so that might be a bit silly.

I'll drag it off to innerleithen at some point and see how it goes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Awsome bike,

39pounds aint that heavy, my air bike is 36 and pedals pretty easy just man up :P I really want a nice coil play bike that pedals a bit. totally jealous.

And simples ride teh SX there one of the 7" type coil sprung bounce toys :p
  • Northwind
    There's no rational reason at all to ride the Hemlock tbh... it's fractionally slacker, I guess, but the SX's rear end's so much more active and plush and it's built for the abuse. But since the whole scheme's obviously stupid, doing it on the stupider bike seems appropriate
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sheepsteeth
    i find there is a funny thing we do to our own minds when we own more than one bike.

we think we have to have one for this and another for that and there is no way we can own a particular bike because we already have one that does that and so on and so forth.

the honest truth is though that sometimes you might fancy one bike which does a job perfectly well, a different day you might fancy doing the same thing on a different bike designed for the same purpose.