Chain suck, is my chainset worn:

Danny-T
Danny-T Posts: 129
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
When the chainset is just cleaned and just lubed I don't have a problem, as soon as it gets the slightest bit wet/gritty I'm suffering from severe chain suck. It also only happens on the middle ring.

I just got back from an extremely annoying ride and had a look and to my untrained eye this looks pretty worn, but I'm also aware they do make the teeth funky shapes and sizes so thought I'd get a 2nd opinion from those wiser than I here:

5861644746_a2a1dabb4b.jpg

5861092953_b9279d7be3.jpg

5861643212_835bc34a46.jpg

Whatcha reckon? Any input appreciated :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Looks pretty worn to me. New chainring time. Steel is a bit heavier but lasts longer
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Those do look a bit funky, especially the top pic.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Danny-T
    Ha knew it! Thanks for the confirmation guys. Damn this bike lark just gets more and more expensive eh? Still it's a relief to know that is likely the cause of the problem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You do have a choice, eat or ride.
    Deore are relatively cheap and long lasting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the chain has been on the bike as long as that chainring has, then there's a good chance the chain needs replacing too.
  • bails87
    If the chain has been on the bike as long as that chainring has, then there's a good chance the chain needs replacing too.

And the new chain will probably skip on the other chainrings and the cassette......
    MTB/CX

• Danny-T
    Thanks cooldad, been trying to do more of the latter and less of the former in an attempt to not cause so much of this costly wear and tear by being a fat b*stard :P

I believe that was a Deore (Shimano FC-M542?) and lasted just shy of 10 months so might try for something a bit meatier, that said I'll probably be restricted by whatever they have available at my LBS as I'm going away on Friday and taking the bike so need a quick fix.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:

And the new chain will probably skip on the other chainrings and the cassette......
    Thank you captain doom and gloom, I was trying to break it to him gently :lol:
  • Danny-T
    Chain's been replaced a few times but might just get a new one to save the hassle and will see about the cassette

*warns bank account to prepare for impact...again
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

Thank you captain doom and gloom, I was trying to break it to him gently :lol:

I've had my own thread of failure, I'm just sharing it around! :lol:
    MTB/CX