does anyone else get any abuse on their commute?

124»

Comments

• Pedestrians who look at you and then walk out in front of you are very annoying. I have made sure a few of them knew that they were idiots while making a point of not slowing down and swerving around them.

Please don't do that, you make things harder for me when I cycle because i may encounter a pedestrian you've seriously pissed off. Pedestrians always have right of way on roads, no need to be twattish to them.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    . Pedestrians always have right of way on roads, no need to be foolish to them.

No they don't .

Yeah, don't swerve round them, slap them across the back of the head like I do.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • ‘The rules in The Highway Code do not give you right of way in any circumstances, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an accident.’ - p34 The Highway Code 2007

Cycling deliberately close to pedestrians is the kind of bullying behaviour that degrades the quality of life on the roads, there's really no need.
  • Ok so I'm not swerving around them within inches. That would be careless on my part. I go around them so I don't have to slow down. I refuse to slow down unless I am gonna hit something. In which case, they would get a mouthful.

Its different on a ped-crossing, if someone is on a crossing even if the lights are green then you must stop, but even then It is a bit annoying when they just walk out thinking "oh you are only a bike"

In the road when someone walks off a path right in my way and after looking me in the eye? They are gonna feel the wrath or at least hear it. :twisted:
  • jjstenso
    jjstenso Posts: 14
    I get abuse quite often, often give as good as I get too.

Some stand out events over the past ten years of commuting in Yorkshire's two largest Cities:

- Having a wine bottle thrown at me, which bounced off my shoulder - quite painful. (Leeds)

- Being whipped on the bum by a piece of rubber or window sealing by a passenger in a car only for said vehicle to be then caught at a red light 100 yards down the road, which they ran, to get away from me, almost causing an accident. (Leeds)

- Being shot at with a spud gun - they missed. (Sheffield)

- Being shot at with a paintball gun on full auto - they didn't miss. (Sheffield)

Plus many instances of random shouts, "BOO!", mindless taunts etc in both Cities.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    'Buzzing' a pedestrian for stepping out is the equivalent of a punishment pass on a cyclist by the driver of a motor vehicle. In each case, it's bullying behaviour towards a more vulnerable road user. One of the golden rules of road use is never to use your vehicle as a weapon.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    cje wrote:
    'Buzzing' a pedestrian for stepping out is the equivalent of a punishment pass on a cyclist by the driver of a motor vehicle. In each case, it's bullying behaviour towards a more vulnerable road user. One of the golden rules of road use is never to use your vehicle as a weapon.

+1! Treat people as you want to be treated yourself!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    cloggsy wrote:
    cje wrote:

+1! Treat people as you want to be treated yourself!
    girls don't like it when some random bloke tries to go down on them...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jjstenso
    jjstenso Posts: 14
    I got spat at and branded a "prick!" this evening. Lovely insults from each of the occupants of a beautifully vulgar Lime Green Fiesta shitbox. All because they passed me in a place where the cycle lane is closed, with cones down the centre of the road (the section of closed cycle lane is around 100m long, which I usually cover in next to no time)

The chavs decided to blaze past me at 40 missing me by a gnat's whisker, as I was already deep in the gutter due to hearing them race up behind me I decided to deploy airzound. This they didn't like, slowing to a stop up the now widened road with a re-instated cycle lane. I passed the stationary Barrymobile telling them to "have patience!" to which I received the phlegmy retort.

I live another day!
  • I've just started cycling to work for the first time - it only took me until my first journey home to get abuse hurled at me.

Granted, it was just a load of chavs in a car but couldn't believe how quickly it happened!