Pikes 140mm, added air, lost travel

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
well today i got some air into my pikes, stuck in 90psi in both - and + chambers, travel has been reduced by 10mm or so, does anyone know if i should of filled a perticular chamber first or what the problem is

cheers
scott

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    poss air first to set sag. see the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supafly1982
    nicklouse wrote:
    poss air first to set sag. see the FAQs.
    its in there? good stuff, i'll check it out thanks
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    -ve chamber can cause the travel to be sucked down if there is too much in there. However at even pressures this shouldn't be the case!

Did you do the +ve chamber first?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    -ve chamber can cause the travel to be sucked down if there is too much in there. However at even pressures this shouldn't be the case!

Filling the -ve chamber first can have this effect even if they're equal. If the problem persists, it could be dry seals between the air chambers.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I would take the pressure out of both springs

check that the fork moves smoothly

re pressurise the springs in the right order

do you store the bike upside down & what gen of pikes are you using, cos if stored upsidedown they will piss oil everywhere unless thay have had the fix done (bigger o ring in top cap ass)

good old rx
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    That statement has been adjsusted by some jumped up software

wee-wee should read p 1 s s
  • supafly1982
    the forks are "brand new" but the bike is is 2009 new from shop last week, i filled the positive chamber first.
    might try emptying them and refilling them, bike gets stored level