Wet weather gear

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So I`m now fed up with getting wet so I need some advice on wet weather gear. I notice that a lot of the stuff I`ve looked at is ridiculously expensive so any suggestions for stuff on a budget. I would ideally like a jacket that I can wear in the summer and winter with layers so not too thick. One thing I have become aware of is my aldi fold up jacket is next to useless

Comments

• king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    dugliss wrote:
    So I`m now fed up with getting wet so I need some advice on wet weather gear. I notice that a lot of the stuff I`ve looked at is ridiculously expensive so any suggestions for stuff on a budget. I would ideally like a jacket that I can wear in the summer and winter with layers so not too thick. One thing I have become aware of is my aldi fold up jacket is next to useless

+1

I also need to grab a cover for my pack which is now caked in mud, and overshoes. Chain reaction cycles has some good deals on
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I got a high vis cover for my rucksack from asda for about £2 and it does an excellent job
  • I might be tempted to use expensive, good quality wet weather gear for long tours when you are often travelling at slower speeds, don't have such rigid deadlines and can avoid getting sweaty, but for commuting I'm not a fan of wet weather gear.

I have some decent gloves and overshoes if it is really wet, but prefer to just use windproof / shower proof jacket and waterproof skin. At normal commuting speeds pretty much any waterproof gear just 'boils in the bag'.

I do have some pretty good waterproof panniers from lidl, linned with good quality carrier bags :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    dugliss wrote:
    I got a high vis cover for my rucksack from asda for about £2 and it does an excellent job

I'm going to Asda! :wink:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The camel bak rucksack I have came with one that folds away into a pocket when not used, and its yellow so stands out without turning me into a hi viz nodder, not that I am using now as I am turned into pannier man again now
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    In my experience there is no answer to this question. Even though expensive gear is better you still end up drenched from the inside in sweat, whereas cheap stuff is no better than wearing a plastic bin liner. Generally being wet with sweat or rain is just something I put up with, it's not that bad.
    As the OP asked for a recomendation one of the best tops I've tried is the Gore Phantom 2 but although that's not top end I wouldnt class it as budget, it's certainly better than my cheap stuff.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Just picked up a Montane Featherlite Velo from Evans for £40.

Gets good reviews on here and in general.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • ZoomZoom
    ZoomZoom Posts: 53
    I'm looking for a decent light weight jacket or jersey too, so keep the suggestions coming.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Assos Climajet ?
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Have you ever considered a rain poncho
    1) Keeps you dry from head to toe, unless you are to macho for mudguards
    2) Allows air to circulate below it, so you are not as hot as in a jacket, yet it does keep some warmth in, which is good for the winter
    3) You can fold it easily and it will protect your rucksack too, or even a basket in front of you.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    ndru wrote:
    2) Allows air to circulate below it, so you are not as hot as in a jacket, yet it does keep some warmth in, which is good for the winter
    3) You can fold it easily and it will protect your rucksack too, or even a basket in front of you.

But...

If it is at all windy it acts as a huge sail; ideal if the wind is behingd you, but from any other direction it becomes down right dangerous!
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    ndru wrote:

Do you mean what we used to call a cape? They had loops to attach to your handlebars. They were great; totally waterproof with no seams to leak, and open underneath so that there was no need to compromise the proofing (or up the cost) by having to make the material breatheable. You could have them in oilskin if you didn't mind the weight, though mine was a posher type made of nylon. You could ride around with your own private little lake between you and the handlebars. When I was a schoolboy bike commuter and used the bike for a morning paper round as well, back in the 60s, I do not recall ever getting wet despite some vicious winters and very wet summers. I seem to remember mine being big enough to cover my satchel which would have been carried on a rack.

There ware drawbacks though. It is difficult to imagine anything more lethal in a crosswind, as you could not only be easily blown over, but also into the path of oncoming traffic, and you could be blown to a standstill in even an ordinary gale; a proper storm was really scary. And, if you did get into trouble, those handlebar loops kept you attached to the bike, which is not always the best way to crash. Remember, this was in the days before city centres had tall buildings which turn some streets into wind tunnels-things would be much worse nowadays. I have always assumed this to be the reason you can't buy them any more.

I suppose you can get something of the sort in fishing shops, but you would have to bodge something to attach to the handlebars to stop it from Marilyn Monroeing over your head in any sort of breeze-and fishing gear rarely comes in hi-vis.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Yes, a cape would be another name for it.
    1) yes, wind in genereal is a bit of a problem
    2) the loops I have in my cape go around my palm nor handlebars - so my fingers are covered, but I am i no way attached to the bike. Anyway with so many people riding with silly spds I wouldn't call it a major problem...
    3) unless the poncho is too big for you - you are not going to have a puddle in front of you.
    4) one thing I am missing in my poncho is a visor to protect my specs from getting all wet
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've got a DHB jacket and matching overtrousers. I can't remember the model (and they're not with me) but they're one layer thin jobbies with a slightly silvered inside. Very basic (no pockets at all) and very slim fitting (go for a size up from what you'd expect) but they are absolutely bloody marvelous.

Totally waterproof, very light and properly breathable too so you don't end up like a Birdeseye steam-in-the-bag vegetable portion. Quite attactive too in simple black with thin reflective piping.

If I recall, the ensemble was about £70 from Wiggle which puts it in the bottom price range when compared to the likes of Gore stuff.

Can't recommend it enough.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    These roll up to a size just bigger than a cigar tube
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/eager-oversh ... -prod7044/

This rolls up maybe a little bigger than a can of red bull
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadr ... cket-2011/

Both go in the same jersey pocket , whether that jersey is a summer , autumn or winter one.
    I see so many people with huge rucksacks on their back and wonder why on earth they need such a big bag , do people really carry all their gear backwards and forwards EVERY day ?

btw , re jackets - I've heard the Montane comes highly recommended as well.