Help setting up disc brakes

stanman1432
stanman1432 Posts: 55
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My Hayes El camino are getting me down!! I've tried re-setting the caliper, pushing the pitons back, removing the whole set and re-installing, checking rotor searching forums, referring to the manual but still there is little or no clearance with the rotor, the piston seems spongy and just springs back against the rotor when i try to manually adjust the calliper by eye. The rear is worse and rubs like crazy
Please can anyone suggest a solution, other than buying a new set of Deore or SLX brakes and rotor. I have to say it's tempting as i nearly threw my bike in the bin today !!!

Please help :-(

Andrew

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    centre the caliper without the pads in by eye first, That's the way to do it properly. then ensure all pistons are moving freely. If brakes are just plain old sponge they probably want a bleed
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stanman1432
    are you saying that the pistons will not both stay "home"?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've just had to reset both my new 595's since putting in new pads and taking it out for the first run. When I got in tonight the front would only turn a half turn when spun! (I knew something was up started getting that "zinging" noise especially when cornering the flex was making it worse.
    I tried the hold the brake on method but this didn't work so flipped it over and did it by eye....sorted now. :P
  • Nicklouse , Yes they stay home and sort of spring out a little when I push the piston back. What does this mean??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you bled/topped them up recently?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nicklouse , Yes they stay home and sort of spring out a little when I push the piston back. What does this mean??

sounds like too much fluid in the system.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown