Gluten Intolerance

fungus_the_muffin_man
fungus_the_muffin_man Posts: 1,608
edited June 2011 in The hub
Has anyone developed this and if so can you remember what kind of time periods the symptoms started before you were diagnosed?

Someone close to me may have it. We've been trying different diets to try and rule things out and this seems the likely cause. However the stomach problems only seemed to materalize a month or so ago ( though looking at other symptons it may have started earlier)

Any insights would be useful
Thanks guys an girls if you can contribute
Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    My wife is not able to eat gluten, if she does mistakenly, she gets severe stomach cramps and general feels like shite. They can come on quite quickly, she put up with it for years before sorting it out by going to the DR's.

I would get along to the Dr's for an allergy test, that is the only real way of finding out, if they are gluten intolerant, it means alot of normal foods are out of the window, it is amazing how much stuff we eat contains wheat or other grain gluten.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Get to the doctors, they can test for it with reasonable accuracy from blood, and confirm with a stomach biopsy. Which is not the most pleasant thing ever but it's not something you want to be half assed about.

Mine was picked up before i got the symptoms. Most people, that doesn't happen and by the time you get diagnosed you've taken some damage. It's not just an upset stomach problem, it causes poor vitamin and mineral absorption, commonly anaemia and osteoperosis. I've got the osteoperosis despite having never had an upset stomach in my life, unfortunately the invisible symptoms come first.

Ideally, you want it to be something else tbh, it's a total pain in the arse. Like Sbezza says you wouldn't believe how much food's got wheat in it, it gets used to bulk up and thicken other foods. 100% beefburgers! How the **** can a 100% beefburger have wheat in it, it's 100% beef! Mars bars, sauces, some ice cream... Fried chips, if there's been anything with batter fried in the same fat. Toast from a toaster that's been used with regular bread...
    Uncompromising extremist