Rain: 12 days a year - POLL

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So, we are told that on the average commute, you will only get rained on 12 days per year.

I am going to test this as I think it's total Horlicks.

What's your take on it?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    May not rain every day, but its certainly more than 12 days a year, that also makes no allowance for the days when the road is soaking wet and you get sprayed even if there is no rain!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    12 days on the push bike, 12 days on the motorbike plus 12 days in the car. Nothing wrong with that theory.
    Mind you if it keeps up I might have to use public transport to get another 12 days.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Is that on a London commute? So dam Londoncentric these 12 rainy days.... :evil:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Well, even though it's been pretty wet lately I can only think of a few times where I've been rained on. The roads have been wet, sure, but actually rained on it probably is only a handful of times so far this year.

I am in the SE, though. YWMV
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • veronese68
    And do you get an extra 12 days for each bicycle and motorbike. I've got an extra 24 in hand then.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Veronese68 wrote:
    And do you get an extra 12 days for each bicycle and motorbike. I've got an extra 24 in hand then.

Showoff :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • 8 days last year, commuting every single day bar 5. Yes, I am that sad, I counted.
  • veronese68
    Unlike push bikes motorbikes have to be one in one out unfortunately. So I was adding the two together. If I ever finish building my Bonneville I'll add a few days for that. Unfortunately not much incentive as I'l lhave to sell it when finished.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    To be honest, and I am the first to moan about the rain, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that stat pretty accurate. Sure, it is often wet but in terms of when it is actually raining when I am cycling to/from work, it is pretty rare indeed.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Suppose you are a fair weather commuter living in East Anglia

Then I guess that you'd see less than 12 rainy journeys a year

OTOH if you are an all year round commuter living in Devon you might see considerably more
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There was a period when I was 16-18 where I was rained on maybe 4 times, and I was out on the bike probably 355 days a year.

Granted that was in Cambridge, which I believe is the driest place in the UK.
  • vorsprung wrote:
    Suppose you are a fair weather commuter living in East Anglia

Then I guess that you'd see less than 12 rainy journeys a year

OTOH if you are an all year round commuter living in Devon you might see considerably more

10 miles a day in all weathers in Norwich.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There are a lot more wet days than wet commutes.

A number of times recently watch huge downpours outside office at 2pm then rode home in the sun.

Also spitting a bit is not really rain is it? This year and we are almost half way through it I think I've got properly wet only 4 or 5 times. Been spat on more than that though.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yeah, I hardly ever get really properly wet on my commutes. I even started writing a mobile phone app to track exactly that data, but I haven't finished it. (The prototype is sat on my phone though.)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Agent57 wrote:
    Yeah, I hardly ever get really properly wet on my commutes. I even started writing a mobile phone app to track exactly that data, but I haven't finished it. (The prototype is sat on my phone though.)

So it's still wetwear then?

(I'll get me coat)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Agent57 wrote:

So it's still wetwear then?

(I'll get me coat)

Hope that coat is waterproof as its wet in this drought
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I live in Wales !

We get 12 days of sunshine a year :roll:

Please feel free to insert Wales based humour below ......
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    SecretSam wrote:
    So, we are told that on the average commute, you will only get rained on 12 days per year.

I am going to test this as I think it's total Horlicks.

What's your take on it?

I heard it was 11 (from the old guy in Condor, when I was shopping there for a waterproof).

I concluded that whoever compiled that stat could not count higher than 11.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Its pretty accurate, I do a cycle - train -cycle and usually take the car or walk with brolly / scrounge a lift off the Mrs and then tube the Lndon end if its proper wet in the morning. Don't car about the evening as I'm o my ay home. Non bike days are very rare.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • calonuk
    calonuk Posts: 78
    KonaMike wrote:
    I live in Wales !

+1

I got so wet cycling home on Monday that even my overshoe covers gave up and let in water.

exercise.png
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Is that on a London commute? So dam Londoncentric these 12 rainy days.... :evil:
    +1 :twisted:
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Normally I would say that sounds about right but just checked my spreadsheet (GEEK ALERT) and have been rained in 12 times so far this year commuting from about 120 commutes so 10% rain chance, not too bad I guess
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Even for me in the Highlands (albeit not West Coast), I think that stat is not a million miles off. I'm rarely soaked - I've not ridden as much as I'd like this year but I don't pick and choose based on the weather. I can't remember the last time I wore my waterproof jacket because of the rain (I used it as a windproof layer when it was -11C)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    KonaMike wrote:
    I live in Wales !

You must live in the sunny, tropical, part of Wales, then.