Some advice on getting a Xcountry/road bike

LQuinn
LQuinn Posts: 2
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
hi sorry if this has already been discussed but I'm looking for a bike that I can ride on the roads in the week just for commuting with an occasional 20 mile road ride. But at the same time I'm quite interested in getting into some xcountry riding, like long offroad trails.

I can easily manage to get two different sets of tyres to help do both. But I'm a bit lost on what bike would be best I hav a budjet of £600 including extra tyres.

Can anyone help me with bike selection?

Thanks

Comments

• richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    you cant stretch another 100?

check out / google/ wikipedia: cyclocross bikes (and the youtube clips are great fun too! )

just under 600
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-mares-ax-30-tiagra-2011/

theres this one for just under 700
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_tcx_3.html

but they dont have disc brakes - depends how muddy the trails are..

you didnt want front suspension did you? :)
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    If I were you I would have a look at the Giant roam, Specalised Crosstrail or the trek 7300/7500. They have a MTB looking frame but more road specific gearing and lock out front forks.

I used the giant roam xr2 to commute 35 mile round trip a couple of times a week but it was also hardy enough for light off road riding even in the depths of winter.
    Would still be using it now if some one hadnt nicked it at the start of the summer.
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GT do a similar bike, discs, lockable sus forks on 700C wheels and road gearing....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Do not buy a bike with disc brakes if you want to use it for commuting and may want to fit full mudguards and a rack.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    My Scott hybrid has disk brakes, a rack, full set of chromoplastics.

Your point is?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Do not buy a bike with disc brakes if you want to use it for commuting and may want to fit full mudguards and a rack.

:?:

Why not?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    nation wrote:

:?:

Why not?

The disc brake calipers often make it tricky to fit most commonly available racks and mudguards, although there are models that get round this.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What about the Boardman Urban MTBs? Light MTB frame, rigid forks and chunky but slick tyres. Put some knobblies on and you've got a decent MTB.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530

Why not? I ride all week and go off road on weekends/bank holidays and I have no problems with my mtb. I agree its not the best platform for commuting but when you can only afford one bike and want both offroad and onroad it still works. I have peaked at 32 mph average 19mins for 4.5 miles with two hills and have a backpack. I trust my HD breaks. weight doesnt bother me - actually I have lost 8kg over 3 months.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Try a 29er MTB. Decent to ride on both road and trail. If you can afford 2 sets of wheels, you could have 700c road tyres on one set and MTB tyres on the other. I use Maxxis Aspen 29er tyres and find them pretty good on and off road.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014

But he also said xcountry, so get disk brakes
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

Nonsense
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    The 2011 Boardman CX bikes have disc brakes! But they are more than your budget...

It only seems as though the CX Team is available ATM, I dunno when the Comp & the Pro are due out???