Carbon bars

Ian43
Ian43 Posts: 172
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I got some Easton carbon xc monkey bars a while back and have just fitted them, now I tightened them up using a Ritchey torque key to 5nm and all seems well, however my question is do carbon bars weaken over time due to fatigue or will they hold their strength indefinitely..

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they hold their strength until they fail. normally due to damage.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ian43
    What say like if you came off ect otherwise they will be fine.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    They'll stand up to fair bit of punishment. If you see a crack develop take them off, if not keep going. Carbon doesn't fatigue in the same way the steel/aluminum does, it doesn't work harden. But if it cracks the crack will propergate quickly and fail
  • Ian43
    Oh one other thing are lock on grips used with carbon bars or would normal grips be advisable, I have a set of Ritchey foam lock on's in the post and assume if you do not overtighten they would be fine or am I wrong.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They'll be fine....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ian43 wrote:
    Oh one other thing are lock on grips used with carbon bars or would normal grips be advisable, I have a set of Ritchey foam lock on's in the post and assume if you do not overtighten they would be fine or am I wrong.

it depends how they lock on.

if they are clamp on like ODI then they are fine. but if the use Grub screw(s) to stop movement then they are not suitable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ian43
    They are the grub screw ones I believe so probably not suitable I do have some spare collars thoughs which are clamp on so should be ok if they fit.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39259
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some of the grub screw ones bite direct into the bar, that would be a no-no, most the better ones use the grub screw onto a ring which it compresses, that would be fine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    ^^^ what he said about the lock ring.

another thing to consider is what effect has UV (i,e. sunlight?) on the carbon. I would expect/hope decent bars, frames etc to have UV resistant laquer coating.

I have carbn bars on my comuter that sees a lot of sunlight so we'll see how lng the bars last. :?