Arthur Platt

sc999cs
sc999cs Posts: 596
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
I know that several posters to this forum knew Arthur Platt who was killed while riding End to End to raise money for 'Help for Heroes' last year.

The driver of the vehicle which hit Mr Platt is currently on trial and our local paper has some details concerning the case. The article can be read here.
Steve C

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Very very sad. My heart goes out to his family, a tragic loss of life, all because of somebody's stupidity and complete selfishness. Picking up a poxy sat-nav rather than caring about your fellow road users.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    How can the idiot driver suggest he wasn't driving dangerously, I hope they throw the book at him and hopefully a custodial sentence will be passed down.

I cannot believe the stupidity of the drivers in this country at times. I cover roughly 40,000 miles per year with my job and wouldn't dream of trying to retrieve something from the passenger footwell simply because something of this nature could happen.

I feel for his poor family who will now have to hear this idiot say that he wasn't dangerous when he took their loved ones life.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Update. The driver was found guilty of dangerous driving.

Details here.
    Steve C
  • What an idiot. Lets hope he gets the sentence he deserves. Sat Navs speak directions, I can't understand why they need a screen to be permanently in line of sight. On the rare occasions I use on, I never look at it once I have set off.
    The police should clamp down on those drivers who stick their's in the middle of the windscreen. If a crack the size of a £1 coin is illegal, why isn't blocking off a 5 inch square ?
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I seem to recall a lorry driver getting away with 'I didn't see them' when he ran down and killed a cyclist even though the view from his cab was obstructed by a stick-on utility tray. In that case I say that he willfully obstructed his own view, and that should be considered an exacerbating factor not a reasonable excuse.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.