schwalbe ultremo zx

funk-meister
funk-meister Posts: 34
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi. Any post a link or phone number for a UK contact for schwalbe. My cube agree was supplied with ultremo thread that have started to break up after only 1500 miles of use.

I need to see how helpful schwalbe's customer service is

Thanx for yr help.
Focus Izalco
Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    What do you mean by break up as well? If the sidewalls are de-laminating or something you might get some luck (although 1500 is a fair amount of miles) if you mean the actual tread is full of cuts and nicks well that's wear & tear I'm afraid. Grippy performance tyres like Ultremos get that grips from a soft compound, the downside being they cut up more than less grippy tyres. Conti black chilli are a sort of compromise but IME Ultremos are still grippier.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    nferrar wrote:
    What do you mean by break up as well? If the sidewalls are de-laminating or something you might get some luck (although 1500 is a fair amount of miles) if you mean the actual tread is full of cuts and nicks well that's wear & tear I'm afraid. Grippy performance tyres like Ultremos get that grips from a soft compound, the downside being they cut up more than less grippy tyres. Conti black chilli are a sort of compromise but IME Ultremos are still grippier.

+1
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    The ZX is a race tyre, so don't expect too much mileage from them.

I've done less than 500 miles on mine and threads have started coming away from the side of the tyre.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Do you have coloured or black/white?

I have an Agree GTC SL and an Attempt and the SL came with black/green and the Attempt with black/white. I''ve used the SL for the last 6 months and have also just come back from a week of pretty hard riding in the Alps and I've just changed to green/black Rubino Pro 3's.

There was a pretty good article in last months cycling weekly where they tested a load of supposed racing tyres and the ZX's came out on top, although the article finished by saying the coloured ones are a bit softer.

Also, it might be worth noting that sometimes, what you get out of the factory with the bike isn't quite as good quality as what you would get it you bought the tyres seperately and I pretty much accepted that a long time ago.
  • Thanx for the reply Samp, Tes it was the black and white Ultremo on the Cube Agree Race.

Schwalbe dont appear to have a cust service line in the uk. I guess i am just going to have to fork out and replace them.
    Focus Izalco
    Cube Agree GTC
  • chaffordred
    chaffordred Posts: 131
    My Ultremo R.1's have about 500 miles on them and have started to split on the sidewalls close to the rim. I originally changed the rear, thinking it was specific to just that tyre, then I noticed the front also has splits around it too. These are the later Ultremo's (R.1's) that were the Mk 2 version of the first Ultremo's that had problems with bulging.

I emailed Schwable to ask them if they had any other reports of splits on the side walls and also whether it would be safe to continue riding on them. Unfortunately they have not got back to me yet. The tyres are black with white stripes.

The email I used was info@schwalbe.co.uk
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Thanx for the reply Samp, Tes it was the black and white Ultremo on the Cube Agree Race.

Schwalbe dont appear to have a cust service line in the uk. I guess i am just going to have to fork out and replace them.

No worries, and as I said, the factory one's aren't supposed to be as good.