Carbon seatpost stuck in frame (follow up)

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited June 2011 in The workshop
I say 'bizarrely' because I can rotate it within the seat tube, yet I cannot extend it. It's on a second-hand Fratello I just bought and I think I'll do something nasty to my back if I pull any harder.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MTFU and PULL?

Does sound strange though, does it move up and down at all? That is like say the post has a groove and the steels pushed into it but there would still be some vertical movement or is there absolutely none at all?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonny_trousers
    No vertical movement whatsoever, but I'll trying adding a little MTFU tomorrow. I'm thinking if it rotates it has to come out. I just need to get leverage without braking something with my foot.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    is there a vertical slot in the steel tube, over which the seatpost clamp sits? What has happened is its been overclamped so both the seat tube and the carbon post have been crushed slightly making it impossible to pull through. With the assistance of another, carefully put a large (10mm) flat bladed screwdriver or similar in the slot about 1/3 of the way down and rotate it to lever the slot open while pulling the post up
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Hmm, if OpBiker's right i'd be thinking of a new seat post...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonny_trousers
    is there a vertical slot in the steel tube, over which the seatpost clamp sits?

There is indeed and thank you, I'll follow your advice. The previous owner clearly didn't look after the bike with the care it deserved. I guess I'll just have to add a new post to the list of bits I need to replace. Thanks guys!
  • jonny_trousers
    I had a little tinker myself and have discovered that there seems to be a metal sleeve between the post and the seat tube. That sleeve moves left and right with the seatpost independent of the frame, but I'm guessing it should probably not. I have very carefully tried opening out the frame a touch, but it achieves nothing and I would hate to damage it so I'm giving up. Thinking that I probably will need a new seatpost, I've decided to leave it to the professionals, but stupid Condor can't see me until my service date on 14th July and I don't really want to pay twice by visiting another bike shop. Oh well, I guess it's a poor fit for me for another three weeks!