New bike and old bike freewheel clunk/click

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Right,

I have narrowed down all the noises on my commuter bike (kona jake) except for one noise; when I freewheel and then reapply drive I get a click or clunk (quite loud) followed by a skipping feeling before the drivetrain bites. I have been over all externals and checked BB etc but cannot find the fault. I am now determined to discover the cause of this as my new ribble sportive has the same problem (Pro light wheels 105 groupset) and Im not sure whether to complain to Ribble or just sort the problem out DIY style.

Any help tracking down the noise gratefully accepted.

W

Comments

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Sounds like a worn freehub.
  • welkman
    On a brand new wheelset? Also the older bike has wheels with tiagra hubs and less than 1000miles on them and has been doing it for a while now.

Im stumped.... :roll:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Might be too much grease in the freehub if it's new.

EDIT: unless you've been cleaning it with a strong solvent e.g. meths or petrol, in which case you might have washed all the grease out
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • welkman
    quick spot of research says it should not be greased at all, just oiled lightly with gear oil. Grease can make them stick. I will have a go at stripping down the tiagra hub when it comes back from the wheelbuilders (broken spoke). Its just bloody annoying when both sets of wheels are so new!