Dead/Cold Feet....saddle problem?

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

Wondering if you can help with a problem that I'm having with my feet. I keep getting dead/cold feet. I have various different shoes & this occurs with most of them. I know this is mostly to do with shoes that are too tight but most of these shoes are a good fit with one pair I would class as roomy.
Could it be a problem with my saddle?
Should I move my SPD's?

Thanks in advamce.
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Ask a shoe shop to measure the width of your feet. Most (you'll be lucky to find some that aren't) cycling shoes are built on a C width last, if your feet are wider then you'll struggle. Bear in mind feet swell a bit when warm, so run down to the shop or something.

Edit: yes I know about Sidi mega's etc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    often it is not shoes that are too tight but people who tighten them up to tight. try using then done up lose.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • equinefunk
    Thanks, I know my foot is wider than a C. I've had various shoes in the past but never had this issue, but I bought Specialized BG shoes, Mavic Pulse, NW Celsius. The Mavic & Spesh are the worst with the NorthWave causing the least issue.

They are not done up tight, they have room in them especially the NorthWave as the can take thicker socks.

If was to wear these as normal shoes for everyday wear I would say that they all fit well.

Can the saddle cause issues with nerves to your toes or is that unlikely?
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Very unlikely to be the saddle. I've had the cold feet thing, sometimes not for a couple of hours into a ride and it's always the shoes. Spesh work for me, I can't get a fit with Sidi Megas. Mavic are narrow, Northwave have a reputation for coming up a wide but I couldn't get on with them, I find the toe box too narrow.

The only people who do easily available wide shoes that I can think of are Shimano, Sidi and Lake. Custom footbeds might be worth considering as well.

As I mentioned above, feet swell when hot so try adjusting your shoes 20 minutes into a ride, not when your feet get cold.
  • equinefunk
    Hi,

Just to re-start this thread. I've finally got out in my new shoes which replaced the Mavic's I had. These are Shimano M087 & two sizes too big, they are not stoppin the circulation by being too narrow. However I'm still getting cold feet, mainly in my right foot on both my MTB and Road bike. It's really spoiling my rides as I have too stop frequently to get the feeling back in my foot.

It's starts after about 10/15 minutes I have adjusted the straps etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    i use a pair of Lake Tri SPD-SL shoes on my road bike and they used to be ok but in recent weeks they have started to give me the dead/pins 'n' needles feeling in my toes.

The strange thing is i also get this feeling when i'm on my specialized and thats using flats and wearing a pair of Lakai board trainers, but using a solid pair of Osiris i'm fine.

The only thing i can think of is that the flex of the sole might be something to do with it, the Lake shoes are definately not as rigid as they used to be amd the Lakai shoes are like slippers, Osiris are pretty rigid.

So could the flex in the sole be adding too much pressure on the ball of the foot and impinging on the nerves in the foot?

just my tupence worth?!