... Probably branded "Sky" also...

emadden
emadden Posts: 2,431
edited June 2011 in Pro race
i.e. the bed mattresses that team Sky bring with them to each hotel they stay in.... getting a bit OTT in my opinion... :shock: :shock:

http://teamsky.cyclingnews.com/tech-fea ... -the-giro/

(BTW Im not a Sky basher...)
www.dotcycling.com

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wait a minute... Sky were in the Giro?!
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    Have you not heard of 'Marginal Gains' !!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sky aren't the only ones who do this. Quick Step and Rabobank certainly do too.

Rest and a good night's sleep is important and some of the hotels they stay in can be pretty ropey.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Sounds extreme, but makes sense really. A good nights sleep is vital.
    Mens agitat molem
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I'd take my own mattress if I had a truck full of flunkies working for me, have you never read or seen of of those pieces about hotel bedding?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    dougzz wrote:
    I'd take my own mattress if I had a truck full of flunkies working for me, have you never read or seen of of those pieces about hotel bedding?

As opposed to the state of the Sky mattresses after a season of sweat, embrocation, flatus and who knows what else from months of living a "monastic" life?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dougzz
    LangerDan wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

As opposed to the state of the Sky mattresses after a season of sweat, embrocation, flatus and who knows what else from months of living a "monastic" life?

Get a giant black marker and write your name on it, your own sweat and filth is so much nicer :)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    all the jerseys have their name down the side, I'd bet the matresses do as well :-)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky aren't the only ones who do this. Quick Step and Rabobank certainly do too.

Rest and a good night's sleep is important and some of the hotels they stay in can be pretty ropey.

When I was in Brugge I saw a big poster advert for Innergetic where a few oif the quickstep riders were lying on each other pretending to sleep, it was quite funny and a bit surreal. It was like this one but i think they were actually lying down on a mattress
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUBdAep69u3jTAbl1jlr3kpdsUveF7hb8TcF65DYYCG-7cC-GU3g
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Quick-Step Innergetic:

Tdf2010chav-pineau.jpg
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    ermintrude wrote:
    Have you not heard of 'Marginal Gains' !!

Is that a skin disease caught from dirty mattresses?? :D
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Another Innergetic ad - the mattress makes the difference!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,206
    It's not new, they did it last season and I think a few others followed suit. It takes me days to get used to sleeping on a different mattress and I reckon it is one of the marginal gain things that really was sensible.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I can't help but think this kind of thing is at best a waste of money - if the hotels are that ropey then spend a bit more on booking a decent one. Marginal gains my ar se - given the money they have they've underperformed even with the Dauphine.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    The race organisers book and assign the hotels, not the teams.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Well I'm sure they can't be that bad - next you'll be telling me they don't have to wash their own kit out in the sink of an evening.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    Well I'm sure they can't be that bad - next you'll be telling me they don't have to wash their own kit out in the sink of an evening.

They don't even repair their punctures. A new tube - everytime. Can you believe the decadence?
  • dougzz
    I think they are quite often Camponile type quality. Don't forget that often the Tour is in a fairly small place, and can you imagine how many rooms they need for all the teams, and all the race staff. It must be several hundred.

I think the team trucks they have include washing machines, I'm sure I saw that on a documentary, I don't think they have much reliance on the hotels at all.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    From what I have heard they allocate 1 hotel to a couple of teams. One night you might get a nice one and the next a **** tip so I don't blame them for taking their own beds and creature comforts
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    A waste of money? One matress per rider isn't a lot really and I agree that teams do often have to stay in grotty hotels, not because the teams choose 1 star over 5, but because they're in a remote place without much in the way of swanky hotels.

A bad night in an uincomfortable bed wouldn't be conducive to a top performance in a 6 hour bike race the next day.

I love that photo of Pineau and Chavannel.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I can't help but think this kind of thing is at best a waste of money - if the hotels are that ropey then spend a bit more on booking a decent one. Marginal gains my ar se - given the money they have they've underperformed even with the Dauphine.

What by winning it? They screwed up there for sure.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    bazbadger wrote:
    Sounds extreme, but makes sense really. A good nights sleep is vital.

it doesn't sound extreme. what it did sound liek though was a lame excuse for some anti british team brit to slag off sky.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I hear the matresses are being painted green for the Tour. :lol:
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    smithy21 wrote:
    I hear the matresses are being painted green for the Tour. :lol:

me too!

:lol:
  • RichN95.
    Talking of pokey, rubbish hotels. This is Sky's designated hotel for the first few days (via Inner Ring twitter):

http://twitpic.com/5fjr7h/full

That's not a Travel Lodge
  • Monty Zoncolan
    Monty Zoncolan Posts: 341
    edited June 2011
    A waste of money? One matress per rider isn't a lot really and I agree that teams do often have to stay in grotty hotels, not because the teams choose 1 star over 5, but because they're in a remote place without much in the way of swanky hotels.

A bad night in an uincomfortable bed wouldn't be conducive to a top performance in a 6 hour bike race the next day.

I love that photo of Pineau and Chavannel.

Don't the teams get allocated hotels by the organisers as well - so they get what they're given in that respect.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They were definitely doing this last year too. Makes sense to me - cost is minimal and as has been said - the tour organisers allocate their lodgings. Some will be lovely - and others a bit crap.
    Paris has the worst hotels of all the places I've been to anyway.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    It's not about the quality of beds in hotels it's about getting to sleep on the same mattress every night. Even a good bed takes me a bit of getting used to. If that means you get to sleep 30 minutes quicker every night then that's over 10 hours more sleep than you would have otherwise gotten over the course of the Tour.

I'm not one for Sky's PowerPoint briefings before stages and whatnot but this makes total sense to me.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Where better to hide the blood bags?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/