Sore lower back when hill climbing

puncturemagnet
puncturemagnet Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Afternoon folks,

I'm off on holiday this week :D , probably not great as it's gonna rain all week :( but I managed to get out on my Sunday best yesterday and had a very pleasant run amounting to about 45 miles. :D

My route took in two pretty big hills, the second one in particular is the hardest climb I've had to deal with yet and I was very close to bailing out. Partly because my lower back, just above my backside started to get very sore after about 500 feet of climbing and the last 100 feet were properly sore. :(

Once I got to the top and started going down the other side the pain went away it was fine for the remaining 15 miles of my run.

Anyone else ever get a sore lower back when climbing hills.

Craig

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i'm prone to lower back problems at the best of times, for me MTB and SS where I'm out of the saddle a lot more helps at lot.
  • alcyst
    alcyst Posts: 10
    I get an ache (not pain, but uncomfortable) in my lower back going up hills sometimes. It seems to happen the first big session of the season, or toward the end of a hard day. I believe it has to do with pulling myself slightly out of the saddle to make a climbing effort. If I consciously sit in the saddle it seems to ease off.

My belief is that you use different core and back muscles in different cycling situations and some muscles only get called on from time to time.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Seat too high?

http://www.caree.org/bike101bikefit.htm
    Lower back hurts

Stem too low or too long; must strain back to reach bars; or seat may be too high, causing rocking when pedaling

Try raising the stem/handlebars; still hurts? try shorter stem; check and adjust seat height Also check page on back pain
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I'm prone to bad backs, and find a longer stem helps when climbing hills. It seems to put far less stress on the lower back.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I don't agree with the saddle height / stem comments

You aren't fit. Climb some more hills and it will get easier
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm really happy with the setup of the bike, 99% of the time (when I'm not climbing hills like the one yesterday) my back is fine :) It has been pointed out that my saddle might be a half cm too low so I'll tape it and nudge it up a bit and see if that helps.

Having another crack at the same route tomorrow or Thursday so if the lower back is a little less sore then I guess Vorsprung is probably right... :o
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Practice.

Unless you've done what I have and gone for a super pro low stem....

Then you need A LOT of practice (and a little yoga..) to not be uncomfortable - way more practice than I can get.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Are you spinning or grinding. My lower back gives me gyp now an again. It's usually when I've been grinding along.
  • @ Il Principle I'm grinding but I'm in the lowest gear available, it's a steep hill :shock:
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Lower back pain is a sign of a weak core if your bike is setup right

Develop your core via sit ups and other abdominal exercises.

A strong core is just as important as strong legs for cycling. Search Bikeradar 'Fitness' section for different exercises you can do.