Bent rear wheel axle - how?

puncturemagnet
puncturemagnet Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in The workshop
The rear wheel on my single speed project bike seemed a bit lumpy so I thought it best to take it to bits and see if the bearings were OK.

After a quick visit to my local Halfords to get a freewheel tool I found that the bearings were in pretty good shape, the same could't be said for the wheel axle.

20110620-NEWBIKE-11.jpg
As you can see from the above picture it's got a fair old bend in it.

I've not serviced many wheels in my time so never came across this but I'm wondering if it's a regular occurance. The axle is 10mm diameter so must have been a fair old dunt to put a kink like that into it.

Craig

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited June 2011
    yep it is a failing in the old freewheel design. the drive side bearings are to far inboard for any heavy duty use.
    I was very apparent in the ´80s on MTBs as we were bending them regularly.

Talk to your LBS about some heavy duty replacement versions.
    "Cromoly" rather than mild steel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think Nick meant 'failing' lol!

You can see the drive side with the spacer has a big leverage to the bearings and that is the root cause, you havne't got the same leverage on the non drive side.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Right that makes sense :o

So I'm gonna have exactly the same problem at some point in the future :(

I can well see this project running up quite a bill :o
  • The Rookie
    As Nick says, get stroner cromoly parts and you'll probably be sorted in one go.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As Nick says, get stroner cromoly parts and you'll probably be sorted in one go.

Simon

stronger [Cough]
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Got a new axle from Halfords, picked up a cromoly one as suggested and it's fitted now, what a difference :D
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Err, that's cHromoly surely :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • The Rookie
    Chrome-molybdenum is often abbreviated in various ways - although my spelling is rubbish (almost as bad as Microshite Spew chucker) it's more often written cromoly than chromoly....as Nick has used above.

Simon