Mountain Bike Geometry - Head and Seat Tube Angles

Revolver22
Revolver22 Posts: 44
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Currently weighing up my options for a new bike, with one of the options being a Canyon Nerve AM. Problem is I cannot see one in the flesh to try it out.

Looking at the geometry, the bike is 1 degree steeper (68.5 degree head tube and 72 degree seat tube) than a Giant Trance XL (69.5 and 73.5 respectively).

There other main area of difference is the top tube length, with the Canyon being another 15mm longer (600mm as opposed to 585 for the Giant).

I would obviously notice the difference in length and reach for the top tube. But with regard to the angles, in the real world, would I notice this 1 degree difference?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The Canyon is 1-degree slacker, not steeper. Whether you would notice that is hard to say. The toptube length I would say you will almost definitely notice though. Whether it is better or not is up to you; I personally like longer bikes. It also depends on how Giant and Canyon measure toptubes; is it horizontal or end-to-end?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to add to the above. How do they measure the angles? is it at sag? fully extended? or at some predetermined length? are the forks shocks the same i2i and A-C lengths?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Revolver22
    Revolver22 Posts: 44
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Hard to tell on the measurements, I took them both off of the manufacturers websites

Canyon Nerve AM:
    https://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbike ... tml?b=2085

Giant Trance X Limited
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bik ... 868/48596/
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    If you're handy with photoshop and you can get hold of decent side on photos then overlaying one other t'other with images scaled so that rim sizes match should give you an idea of how they compare.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    agree with the above re: how are they measuring it.

however I noticed effectively slackening the head angle on my bike by about a degree or so when I swapped to longer forks.

also worth bearing in mind that it may be preferable to compensate for a longer top tube with a shorter stem, rather than the other way round in terms of handling characteristics (esp if you like wider bars)