Pump question

Paul057
Paul057 Posts: 167
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Ok, i'm in the process of getting kitted out to start cycling and i've bought a track pump and a small pump to attach to my bike. The track pump is great and my tyres are rock solid, but i can't work out how to change the valve type on the small pump. It is advertised as reversible presta & schrader, but i don't know how to reverse it. Does anyone else have this pump?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-aluminium-mini-pump/

Comments

• from the looks of it, you may have to unscrew the plastic bit where the valve connects and there should be a rubber or plastic bit inside that will need turning round (flipping). Then screw back on the plastic bit and it should be fine...
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I would highly recommend this pump which I stick in a back pocket, the valve reverses as previously discribed. The pump weighs very little and I can get up to 90 psi without to much trouble. It has a decent sized barrel so inflates fairly quickly and is absolutely good enough for roadbikes.
    Might be the best value bike accessory there is........ http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mnp-b-twin-100-55536401/

:wink:

ps. got mine in Portugal where like most things it was even cheaper.
  • This is the pump i have, and it is not only bloody aweome, but it fits on my seat post, between my top tube a saddle :o)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/triath ... 0000000000
  • Ron Stuart
    This is the pump i have, and it is not only bloody aweome, but it fits on my seat post, between my top tube a saddle :o)

Yeh, it should be "bloody awesome" it costs nearly 10 times as much :shock: and as for the look of a pump strapped to seat post well lets just say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' shall we.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Just under the hour, thought it wouldn't take long before the pump on frame chestnut came up. :roll:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    This is the pump i have, and it is not only bloody aweome, but it fits on my seat post, between my top tube a saddle :o)

Yeh, it should be "bloody awesome" it costs nearly 10 times as much :shock: and as for the look of a pump strapped to seat post well lets just say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' shall we.

The Topeak (160psi) one certifies pressures twice that the Decathlon (70psi) one does. Even at 90psi I'd get pinch flats on my road bike (I notice Decathlon doesn't mention "road bikes" in its list) - for less than 20 quid difference, that's a big difference in capability.

I use a CO2 inflator...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ron Stuart
    Just under the hour, thought it wouldn't take long before the pump on frame chestnut came up. :roll:

Pump on the seat post numbty.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:

The Topeak (160psi) one certifies pressures twice that the Decathlon (70psi) one does. Even at 90psi I'd get pinch flats on my road bike (I notice Decathlon doesn't mention "road bikes" in its list) - for less than 20 quid difference, that's a big difference in capability.

I use a CO2 inflator...

This post has been high-jacked, I'm out of here :shock:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I use a CO2 inflator...

Um, yes - it was hijacked by you in your first post. The OP was asking about a particular pump and you started talking about a completely different one!
  • Ron Stuart
    edited June 2011
    Pross wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I use a CO2 inflator...

Um, yes - it was hijacked by you in your first post. The OP was asking about a particular pump and you started talking about a completely different one!

I wasn't trying to be a wise guy (seems like your job) just trying to too help the original poster and any others following this post who might be in the market for a small bike pump. I wasn't suggesting scientifically that it had the highest spec, although mini-pumps are notorious for not living up to there specs.
    The reference to High-jacked was because of all this 160psi and CO2 inflator (which should be used with caution) stuff.
    So get off me back sunshine and consentrate on adding something to the forum instead of finding fault with other posts.
  • cornerblock
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Do you mean numpty? No pump on my seat post by the way.
  • Paul057
    Ok, not exactly sure what i've started here, but thanks for the advice on my pump, it worked a treat. :D
  • cornerblock
    Paul057 wrote:
    Ok, not exactly sure what i've started here, but thanks for the advice on my pump, it worked a treat. :D

That's it, get it all kicking off and just walk away. :lol:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Do you mean numpty? No pump on my seat post by the way.

No definately numbty as in numb ie. without sensation, torpid or to deaden as it were. :wink:
  • Pross
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I use a CO2 inflator...

I wasn't trying to be a wise guy (seems like your job) just trying to too help the original poster and any others following this post who might be in the market for a small bike pump. I wasn't suggesting scientifically that it had the highest spec, although mini-pumps are notorious for not living up to there specs.
    The reference to High-jacked was because of all this 160psi and CO2 inflator (which should be used with caution) stuff.
    So get off me back sunshine and consentrate on adding something to the forum instead of finding fault with other posts.

Thought you were "out of here". Seems to me anyone who questions that maybe your pump isn't the bees knees gets accussed of a thread hijack. Mean Red was pointing out that your pump may be much cheaper but it may not be fit for purpose and you were recommending it to everyone. Nowt needed to add to this post as the question was answered in the first reply.
  • Ron Stuart
    Pross, I was on my way out until you opened your scribe-type utterances, which I just couldn’t ignore and incidentally should anyone.

Just Add something to this forum or take up bee keeping or something.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Now all we need is for someone to ask if they should degrease their chain before oiling it and we'll have a box set...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Can I have two first class stamps, please, and some sellotape?
  • Can you put WD-40 on your mini pump?

Seriously....why all the hostility?
  • Ron Stuart
    Can you put WD-40 on your mini pump?

Seriously....why all the hostility?

Don't tell me,
    you keep bees :idea:

No mate, Pross and I have crossed paths (swords) in the past.
    You could say as the 'Old Bill' on the tele do
    'He's got previous Gov'.

Hence the 'tension'

Think he's been looking for a re-match having lost the last contest. :P
  • Pross
    Have we? Obviously more of an issue for you as I can't remember.
  • why don't you both just pull out your d1cks and see which one is bigger....

then we can get back to the thread! Either that.....or race :D
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    Slightly off topic - but, should I degrease my chain before oiling it? :shock:
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Why hasn't anyone blamed wiggle yet? :lol:
  • Paul057
    Think i'm still a bit new to join in, but what the hell - i blame Wiggle