New pedals, old cleats

forgotrafe
forgotrafe Posts: 637
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
If you fit new SPD pedals, is it wise to fit new cleats?

I can't see any reason why it would be and I use my shoes with different SPD pedals so any reason would be negated any way.

However someone said you should and I'm now curious as to why because they didn't know (probably just read it on a forum ;) )

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have never fitted new cleats because of new pedals. As you say, some of us have more than one pair of shoes and more than one pair of pedals they all seem to work OK for me.
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    For longest life of pedal and cleat, both new is good. However when both new its also a bit of a sticky combo untill the edges wear a little and round

Personally I would use the old cleats for a few trips until the peddles break in and the sharp edges round off, then swap cleats. That way your not having to have the stickiest combo but also get the new cleats in soon so as to minimise wear.

Also if the cleats are old your be suprised how much better the fit is with new ones
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!