So I was cycling along...

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
And a wasp decided to enter my mouth and sting my right on the tip of my tongue!!!

It was so unbelievably painful, my tongue was going numb and swelling up, I ended up panicking and called emergency services who were very helpful and assured me I was not wasting time which I thought I would be, but better being safe than sorry I guess with wasp stings like that or even worse a bee sting.

Comments

• Did you swallow or spit?
  • freehub
    Damn well spit.
  • freehub wrote:
    Damn well spit.

Just as well, imagine the sting on the way out if you'd swallowed. :wink:
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Can't have been nice for the wasp either ffs! :lol:
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    You want to try getting stung in the back of your throat!
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Vino2007 wrote:

This really isn't the time nor the place for talk like that. :lol:
  • I usually get 3 or 4 bees in the mouth over the course of a summer. Already had two this year. My girlfriends advice? Stop breathing through my mouth.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    should have swallowed. Lot of calories in a wasp, would have saved yourself a few bob on beans.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    I got one between the frame of my glases and cheek last year, she got stuck and let me have it.
    I say she because I reckon if it was a bloke wasp he would have been far more reasonable about it and try to find his way out without asking for guidance
  • Vino2007 wrote:
    Yeah, we all wake up wishing today is the day we can spend 4 hours riding around making a cod face (Tony Martin ITT style) just to try and get that epic moment we get stung there. :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nasty.
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    pussy! should have swallowed it, you seen the crap Bear Grylls eats?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Will o'the Wasp
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    If you think a wasp in the mouth's bad, try having one fly into the hole in the top of your helmet.

:wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    FreeHive
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    DCowling wrote:
    I got one between the frame of my glases and cheek last year, she got stuck and let me have it.
    I say she because I reckon if it was a bloke wasp he would have been far more reasonable about it and try to find his way out without asking for guidance

I had that as a kid, it just kept stinging away until I fell off and got to it.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Nothing wrong with a swollen tongue, it's not held Jamie Oliver back.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Nothing wrong with a swollen tongue, it's not held Jamie Oliver back.

:lol: I managed to headbut 3 large bees on Monday's ride, almost felt guilty with them diminishing in numbers already
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Crapaud wrote:
    If you think a wasp in the mouth's bad, try having one fly into the hole in the top of your helmet.

Yup, I bet that's gotta smart a bit...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Crapaud wrote:

Now that does sound painful :shock:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • freehub
    Crapaud wrote:

Rather there than on my tongue.

I can't think of anywhere worse than in the mouth. Apart from maybe if it did it right on the eye.
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    Gotta agree Freehub!
    I never heard of someone's head swelling up enough to stop your breathing, whereas your tongue well....

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Gotta agree Freehub!
    I never heard of someone's head swelling up enough to stop your breathing, whereas your tongue well....

See that little :wink:y thing in Crapaud's post :?:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    The only word to describe it, Aggie, is 'whooosh'.

& :roll:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill