Dented top tube, advice appreciated!

MTBSKiD
MTBSKiD Posts: 34
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I think I may have trashed my Anthem X and just wanted to get some opinions. I have no real experience with dents as this is my first.

I foolishly forgot to raise my brakes when I swapped my stem round the other night and managed to crash the day after. Resulting in the brake barb smashing into the top tube and leaving this gouge:

p4pb6756165.jpg
p4pb6756173.jpg
Is it to dangerous to ride? I managed to complete a 15 miler after with no change but I'm still concerned =( Not sure If I can get it fixed. Cheers for any advice!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep I would say it in new frame time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MTBSKiD
    Yeah I thought as much =( Bit devastated tbh lol. No chance to get that repaired then I assume?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    You might be able to get a front triangle but it would probably cost nearly as much as a complete replacement frame. Gutted for you mate :( .

.....................................slopes off to check brake lever/ top tube clearance.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Condolences for your loss.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    .....................................slopes off to check brake lever/ top tube clearance.

Me too. Been playing round with stems and spacers and have to admit I never checked the tube clearance. :shock:

Gutted for you fella does your contents insurance cover crash damage to your bike might be worth checking. I have just payed an extra £65 a year to get my bikes covered for accidental damage on top of the theft cover.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I looked long an... it's dead.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    dead as a dead thing

do giant have a crash replacement scheme?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • MTBSKiD
    Cheers for the replies guys, looks like a new frame then =(
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Give the manufacturer a call. They should be able to offer a replacement frame for less money than a shop....hopefully.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • snowden_88
    snowden_88 Posts: 174
    Nubey here.

What are you all on about? What should I be checking?
    "it's like a gift, you know? It's like I can't control it"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check to see if the brakes hit your top tube when the bars are swung round......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Nightmare mate, hope Giant sort you out with something.

Will also be checking clearance before I head out tonight.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets