Problematic brake

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have hope v2's on my cube, the front calliper has always been a pain in the bum to align with some slight contact with pads. Something happened the last day and all of a sudden the rotor was rubbing badly, clicking as the wheel turned. Ive now tried several times to realign the caliper but the rotor always has contact, clicking away. the rotor has not been bashed, i dont think its warped to one side,its true on rotation.

one of the pads on the caliper is always in contact, ive tried to shift caliper as far accross as i can but its not far enough :? ive tried to reset the pistons and push them in as far back as the will go but the dont budge in much, is there a way to rectify this, should i release some fluid so pistons go further in? im at a loss as what to do

advice and help needed please

Comments

• so one brake pad is constantly rubbing on the disc and you can't move the caliper over any further than it already is?

my first port of call would be to check that the wheel is in straight and done up tightly. if that still doesn't help then you may have to shim the rotor out a bit with some washers or something.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Might need to centralise the pistons. Hope have produced a handy video showing you how to do it :)

There are how to videos on the Hope site for setting up your calliper and it also shows how to centralise your pistons

Hope "How To" Vids

Video

I set up my callipers by removing the pads and shimming the mounts (Old Black IS Mount callipers) until the disc runs centrally in the gap then fit the pads and centralise the pistons for them to work optimally
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    thanks guys :D i will try out these new options, its post mount ive got, hopefully between your advice i should get it sorted

cheers
    scott
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Important back off BPC adjuster, then push pistons back into caliper.

If pistons still refuse to retract they may be over filled if so release fluid via bleed nipple or master cylinder.

Next remove pads and centralise caliper over rotor (it's much easier/accurate to align with the pads removed).

Replace pads, pump lever, centralise pistons and finally reset BPC.

If your still having problems with pistons sticking try spraying/cleaning them with some multi purpose silicone lube, just don't let it get anywhere near the pads/rotors.