Elixir 5 and SLX brakes

thefartingcockeral
thefartingcockeral Posts: 394
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Are the Avid Elixir 5 brakes an upgrade compared to the Shimano SLX brakes.
Can you run the Elixirs with the SLX disc as well?
I have always owned Avids and found them fine but my new bike has SLX of which i have never owned before.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    they're basically the same on price level. and yes you cna run different discs with elixirs
  • ...and stopping power is on equal terms?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my new bike has SLX of which i have never owned before.
    Have you ridden them? Are they causing problems? If so are they bled properly?
  • They are not causing me problems. Just something different.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Different is not always bad.
  • sdalby
    sdalby Posts: 139
    Having used both of these, (one set on either bike), I would say that the elixirs have more control, but the SLX have more top end stopping power. The problem with SLX is that they are pretty much on or off. The elixirs can be eased on up to maximum power, but they really aren't as powerful.
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    sdalby wrote:
    Having used both of these, (one set on either bike), I would say that the elixirs have more control, but the SLX have more top end stopping power. The problem with SLX is that they are pretty much on or off. The elixirs can be eased on up to maximum power, but they really aren't as powerful.
    Disagree with the SLX being either on or off ,
    i suppose it dependes on the rider thou .
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i have also ridden with both. they fell similar and have basically the same stopping power too. there's really not much between the two
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I had elixer 5's on my cube and was very impressed...actually prefered them to the XTs on my Trek Remedy. Even after changing the pads and bleeding my XT's they still dont have the power of the Elixers..The XT's even have bigger discs (203 / 180 instead of 180 / 180)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    A friend at the moment who is doing very well in the Nationals swears by his SLX brakes. but to be honest i don't see the point of changing for something that is virtually the same save your cash and get a real upgrade at some point.
  • I have to agree. I only really asked as i have a set of Elixir 5's knocking around.