Chain issues

theunmarkableb
theunmarkableb Posts: 31
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello
I have been having a problem with shifting from middle to big ring for a while now, when I shift, most of the time the chain seems to cling onto the middle ring and rides up into the frame and jams it all up (is this called “Chain suck” I can’t remember). I was in a race at the weekend and it happened twice, in really bad positions, I now don’t really trust it to shift and always focus on the chain instead of where I’m going which gets me in all kinds of problems.

Any advice on how to stop this?

Mark

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Clean all components, and look for wear. If worn, replace.

Make sure is no stiff links.
  • Thanks.
    I did strip down everything and give it all a good clean the day before the race. It's actualy done it since the bike was new, it's just more frequent now, i'll check it over for wear and stiff links though. thanks for the advice.

Anything else I should check?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pay close attention to the chainrings - this is where the trouble usually is ie hooked teeth.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chain suck happens on the return side (bottom) not pull (top) and I THINK that is what your describing. Starting with new chainrings is the usual advice once you've checked for obvious things (ring wear can be subtle and not always obvious).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could be a twisted chain as well. Have you been using the granny ring with the small sprocket, or the large chainring with the large sprocket?
    Those combinations can cause damage to the chain.

Or, it could be something like whacking into a rock, whilst the chain was on the largest chainring.
  • Thanks guys, I did bend the big chain ring on a log shortly after getting the bike, I'm sure that could be the issue.

Thanks again

Mark