A few questions for a n00b

brac20
brac20 Posts: 9
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hey guys, I'm about to get a bike through a ride 2 work scheme. The scheme uses https://www.discovercyclingtowork.com

I think a hybrid bike would be best as I'll be mostly on the road but would like the flexibility of being able to do some light off-road stuff like basic paths and towpaths.

Looking at the bikes this scheme has available I like the look of the Scott Sportster 40. It seems to have some decent reviews around, and looks really nice too :)

Anyone know anything about this bike? Or is there anything else someone would recommend.

I plan to nip down evans cycles near to me as i know they have some Scott Sportsters in, so I'll see how comfy it is.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Cyclocross!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Scott bikes are pretty decent. The nice feature of Scott frames is the location of the rear disc mount (should you wish to upgrade) which works with standard rack and mudguards with no interference.
    Personally. Im not a big fan of suspension forks for everyday riding. They add weight and complication and its harder to fit proper mudguard. Best is to get yourself to the bike shop and see the difference in weight between the Scott and eg, Kona Dr Dew.
  • I just got a tricross sport as i am the wrong side of 18st !!! specalized
    due the better strength and "softer" ride ( not as twitchy as roady) and the benefit the drop and better speed
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • brac20
    Thanks for the advice.

This might sound like a lame reason for wanting front suspension, but I've always wanted a bike with them since I was a kid :) And since they can be locked I figured it would be fine for the road and I can unlock them and do some off road stuff.

There are no Kona Dew bikes in ride2work scheme I am going with unforunately. I will nip down to the LBS and check the weight difference between the Scott and a rigid fork hybrid though. I know they have the Scotts in.

Another question (if you'll put up with me a little longer)

I decided to have a look at the next Scott model up, the Sportster 30.

After the ride2work scheme discount it would cost me £62 more.

The differences are: 40 has Scott Comp brakelevers and Scott Comp V-brakes.
    30 has Shimano BL-M445 Disc brakelevers and Shimano BL-M445 Hydraulic disk brakes.

40 has Shimano BB-ES-25 BB set
    30 has Shimano Cartridge/ 68mm shell BB set

40 has Scott FM-21FQR Front Hub
    30 has Shimano HB-RM 65 CL Front Hub

40 has Shimano FH-RM60-8 Rear Hub
    30 has Shimano FH-RM65-8 CL Rear Hub

40 has Araya TX-733, 700C rims
    30 has Rigida Taurus 2000 rims

Weights. 40 = 13.1kg, 30 = 13.6kg

Are these differences worth 60 quid? I've been reading up on the disk brakes and opinion seems mixed as to whether they are worth it for a hybrid. However I do plan to ride to work in rain or shine and the extra stopping power in the wet might be handy.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Hi there.

I've got a 2011 Scott Sportster 25. Got it on C2W in Feb this year.

It has the lovely hydraulic disk brakes. They are excellent, make a huge difference over the V brakes my old Marin had. I would be very reluctant to go back to a bike that didn't have disk brakes now.

I ride throughout the year and the difference in poor weather (the recent rains have been a good test) is noticeable. You just have to watch out for the people behind you not being able to stop in time when you have to slam them on.

Mine has the suspension forks that I lock out for the commute, but I use my bike on occasions to do some trial riding in the Chilterns and so find them useful for that.

I wouldn't worry about the difference in weight, you aren't going to notice an extra half a kilo.

It's a nice bike to ride and can be pushed pretty quick if that's what you want. Mine is kitted out with full commuting gear, rack, mudguards, marathon tyres etc and is still a fun ride in. It's not going to be as quick as a road bike but really does the business as an all rounder. I just ditch the commuting gear and fit appropriate tires when I take it off road.

I would recommend.
  • brac20
    It's always nice when you get a reply that says exactly what you were hoping for :)

I'm pretty set on the Sportster 30 now I think. I'll report back my experiences soon I hope.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    One thing that's really important is to take it for a test ride to see if it fits you / you like the ride and not just the looks.

I ended up buying a new saddle (Charge spoon) as the one supplied by Scott wasn't the nicest or most comfortable after some time riding.

That's the only negative point I can think off.
  • brac20
    I have a test ride booked for Sunday morning on the 30. Looking forward to it.