First ride in with lycra shorts only......

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Well today I MTFU'ed and rode in with only my lycra shorts and no mtb shorts over the top. It felt quicker :lol: , and slightly wrong :? . But hey-ho, the world will get over it....

....I hope!
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    fenboy369 wrote:
    First ride in with lycra shorts only......

I think I spotted you with your mates... :wink:

onsie.jpg
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Well today I MTFU'ed and rode in with only my lycra shorts

Fair play, but it might be an idea to wear a top too next time.
    AL-33-1017.jpg
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    First time I left the house in just the lycra I felt a bit self concious, but after about 30 seconds I realised that everyone else just sees "bloke on a bike". No one cares.

My next thought was a why didn't I do this before? it's so much more comfortable!
  • fenboy369
    @ Kelsen, thanks for snapping that one, we were only riding together for a while, so you done well....

@JT, isnt that a picture from you own personal album?

@Hoolio, yep, thats pretty much what I'm trying to convice myself of before the ride home. Although there are a couple of people at work that ride in lycra and look more like Kelsens pics than I do, so I should be safe. Ish.... :?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Have to admit that I took the tribe out yesterday for a lovely sunny afternoon blast - because I'd already been out for a couple of hours of 'proper' riding I was still in lycra which was a bit of overkill for the ~10mph pootling that we do with the miniAH on her Islabike.

We stopped at a country pub for a coupla wheteners toward the end of the ride - lotta tattoos and crewcuts inside, but no-one made any comments when I walked in to get the drinks.

.....did feel weird though!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    SimonAH wrote:
    We stopped at a country pub for a coupla wheteners toward the end of the ride - lotta tattoos and crewcuts inside, but no-one made any comments when I walked in to get the drinks.
    .....did feel weird though!

The Blue Oyster?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hoolio wrote:
    First time I left the house in just the lycra I felt a bit self concious, but after about 30 seconds I realised that everyone else just sees "bloke on a bike". No one cares.

My next thought was a why didn't I do this before? it's so much more comfortable!

I nearly did this on Sunday, wimped out at the last minute and but my MTB shorts on over the top.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    When you're out on your bike, do you notice other riders' attire, specifically shorts? If you do notice them, do you then make any judgement about the wearer? Thought not.

Lycra shorts are the only thing worth cycling in. The idea that anyone else on the planet even cares about a chap's choice of clothing is a bit far-fetched, tbh.

Or you could use it as an eye-opener to recognise how women [apparently] have to get used to being eyed up / ogled / mentally undressed by blokes, when they wear anything deemed to be even slightly revealing. But that doesn't apply to blokes anyway so is an irrelevant comparison.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When you're out on your bike, do you notice other riders' attire, specifically shorts? If you do notice them, do you then make any judgement about the wearer? Thought not.

Only when it's white shorts in the rain, or I'm following someone who's shorts are too tight and go a bit transparent. :shock:
    Lycra shorts are the only thing worth cycling in. The idea that anyone else on the planet even cares about a chap's choice of clothing is a bit far-fetched, tbh.

Yes, very true. I'm not that far away from average in any respect to really draw too much attention to myself I suppose.
    Or you could use it as an eye-opener to recognise how women [apparently] have to get used to being eyed up / ogled / mentally undressed by blokes, when they wear anything deemed to be even slightly revealing. But that doesn't apply to blokes anyway so is an irrelevant comparison.

Are you suggesting I Women The F**k Up. ;)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    +1 to CiB

Yup - it's one of the joys of being 46 - I long-since gave up worrying about what anybody thinks anyway. But, honestly, I really don't think anyone cares
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ummm.... I've had wolf whistles off the girls here, and had a couple stop, turn back and peek 'round the corner

Even had the odd "wahey!"

So don't be so sure about the effect lycra has on the girlies....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I wear lycra but because I have such a massive sclong it does look a bit weird cabling its way down my left thigh like three coke cans piled on top of each other.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Gussio wrote:

The Blue Oyster?

i thought it was "the toolbox"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ummm.... I've had wolf whistles off the girls here, and had a couple stop, turn back and peek 'round the corner

Even had the odd "wahey!"

So don't be so sure about the effect lycra has on the girlies....
    You must work for a company that employs dubious women then. I expect. :wink:

This is apples & cheese; no, chalk & oranges. Blokes don't give half a hoot what another chap is wearing on the bike, as long as he's wearing something. Women are allowed a peek though; it should be positively encouraged. When I get to work tho I enter via the back door [fnaarr fnaarr] and don't usually see anyone between there & my office. If I do, whatever thought processes go on in our respective skulls are left unspoken, which is definitely a good thing. One to one in a confined office space might not be as easy to pass off as office banter, esp if it involved my current favourite. Let's leave it there though for now.

Wear lycra. You know it makes sense.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm happy wearing it between home and the office, it's wearing it in the office that puts me off.

Except on Mexican-Wrestler-Fridays, then I fit in with everyone else.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    As a recent convert I cannot ever see me riding in anything else. Except maybe Lycra tights or 3/4 in the winter......

I now have a red DHB cycle top that match my red dhb bib shorts. It's not a great look a little bit like Matt Lucas's Dafydd minus the big white cross. Maybe I should get a swiss national TT champion outfit to complete the look.

24133.jpg

4431920_orig.jpg
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Lycra shorts are the only thing worth cycling in

lol.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • jonny_trousers
    Sketchley wrote:
    As a recent convert I cannot ever see me riding in anything else. Except maybe Lycra tights or 3/4 in the winter......

I now have a red DHB cycle top that match my red dhb bib shorts. It's not a great look a little bit like Matt Lucas's Dafydd minus the big white cross. Maybe I should get a swiss national TT champion outfit to complete the look.

Yeah, do be very careful of red, it's not the easiest colour to - ahem - pull-off.

red_bike_shorts_revealing_too_much.jpg

PS. At least the guy second from right enjoyed his race.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Luckily my red craft bibs have a high chamois in front to hide behind, sort of
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    So much more comfortable whether it's MTB or road riding....

Next step shave your legs.......
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • fenboy369
    airbusboy wrote:
    Next step shave your legs.......

No, no and thrice no.

But last nights ride home was quick and, yes, there were quite a few glances back from the ladies driving home. Its a pretty good ego boost that is. Especially the ones who are so busy looking that they nearly crash their cars! :D
    (Although this may have been becasue they were trying to avert their gaze rather than stare at my @rse. But I'm ignoring that possiblity!)
  • fenboy369 wrote:
    Especially the ones who are so busy looking that they nearly crash their cars! :D

Yeah, but when they actually do crash their cars because they can't bring themselves to check the other direction before pulling out of a junction, you tend to start feeling slightly guilty.

Yes. It did happen.
  • jonny_trousers
    Do you guys really believe women think the Lycra shorts look is sexy? I'd be prepared to accept that you might get checked-out on occasion if you have particularly well developed legs, but lycras alone, particularly padded lycras, is not a good look (Mr Motivator excepted). But then no one should wear it for style purposes.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Do you guys really believe women think the Lycra shorts look is sexy? I'd be prepared to accept that you might get checked-out on occasion if you have particularly well developed legs, but lycras alone, particularly padded lycras, is not a good look (Mr Motivator excepted). But then no one should wear it for style purposes.

Shh, quiet you, I'm almost contemplating a Lycra commute to see how many accidents I can cause now.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I only ever cycle to work in Lycra. Shorts on a nice day and 3/4 lycra bottoms on a cold day or through the winter !

Not only is it faster and more comfortable but it clears sweat away faster too ...... as for how I look in them .......well my 17 year old daughter informs me that it is " Show ups !!"
    :oops:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I only do <2 miles, so I wear jeans on the commute to work. Always wore the lycra on my old 5 mile commute though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Surely also depends on bike?

i wear lycra on the old roadie as it has SPD's etc but never wear lycra on the SS with it's flats.

Both get used for 40/50 miles trips.

if it's a hot summer day there isn't much in it. it's when it's a cold wet winter day, which is also why I always wear bike stuff on the MTB.
  • jonny_trousers
    The only lycras I own are a pair of three-quarter-lengths, but additionally in their favour, I was wearing them beneath a pair of baggies when I was knocked off a couple of weeks back and the baggies got shredded, but the lycras remained mark free. I had a fantastic friction wound beneath, but the lycra shorts stopped my leg from being pebble-dashed by Brixton road surface.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    been doin the full lycra commute for 2 weeks now. had some strange looks in workl at 1st but at least 2 of the ladies have been caught ogling. sadly neither are worth hamboning ;) .

1st day was with undercrackers on but after that its been commando as intended.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png