Is it a man thing?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
i finally got around to putting up one of the fences up in the garden last weekend, 6ft high by 70 odd yards. but still needed to paint it

So because Sunday was a nice sunny day i thought perfect creosoting weather

Creosote is the official smell of summer, women don't seem to like the smell of it though

is it a bloke thing to love creosote? i suppose its a bit like petrol fumes tooo mmmmm petrol smell
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I love the smell of creosote. As you say, it's one of the scents of summer. There are few things as relaxing as listening to Test Match Special in a freshly creosoted shed on a summer's day. :D

I don't think it's possible to buy creosote any more though. Too nasty, I'm told. Not that I've tried, but I fear the day I run out of the stuff and can't buy any more.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My wife loves the smell of creosote, not that you can buy the real stuff anymore, can remember doing a fence as a kid and my hands turning pinky red where the creosote had burnt the skin!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007
    i bought about 6 gallons of "Creocote" from Wilkinsons i was trying to find the proper creosote, but someone mentioned you cant buy it any more as its carcinogenic

an everything else doesn't seem to smell nowhere near as nice or last as long

i will see how this creocote goes it smells lovely though
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    its banned from sale as it makes your testicles shrivel up.

I have a nostagic yearning for the smell of Castrol R engine oil.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited June 2011
    The modern stuff lasts about 3-5 years depending on weathering, we redo our garden shed about every 4 years and its now 17 years old and still 100% solid....

Catrol R - yes please, preferably trapped between the pine trees in a FC forest in sutumn with the small of mud burning off a hot exhaust!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783
    Yeah, it's carcinogenic (coal tar creosote that is, wood creosote is completely different)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

What you can smell are probably all the VOCs being given off.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I painted the shed blue a coupleof weeks back - bit of a change from Creosote.....However, I have been told that old engine sump oil works just as well as Creosote...You would need a big engine with huge capacity to have enough to do a few fence panels though!
  • mudcow007
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I have been told that old engine sump oil works just as well as Creosote...You would need a big engine with huge capacity to have enough to do a few fence panels though!

hmm, ive heard about mixing oil with creosote/ creocote to make it more effective i know a few people who are mechanics or own trucks so mucho oil!

have you still got your alfa by the way?

i very very nearly bought a 159 not to long ago but chickened out at the last minute
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    If you have a petrol mower put some Castrol R in the tank.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    You can still get the real stuff from proper farm supplies places. And I mix mine 50/50 with oil from jet engines thats done a 15 minute presservation run. Lovely! :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I love the smell of creosote in the morning.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I'll second what's been said above:
    Creosote can still be found at agricultural vendors, although only in larger drums.
    Mixing 50/50 with used oil works surprisingly well.

I coated my shed with a Creocote (didn't want to buy 25l drum of creosote) and used transmission oil mix.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783
    Not that the police are likely to prioritise this, but amateur use of creosote based products has been outlawed since April 2003; this includes products bought before that date. Can't really understand why anyone would still want to use the stuff - it's massive overkill for painting a fence (especially if the feet of the fence posts aren't treated similarly before being set into the ground).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    A woman who used to live in a flat downstairs from me had what you'd call an addictive personality and would sniff creosote. And bleach. Of the two, I preferred the the creosote smell throughout the building, though outside her door it would turn your stomach inside out. And my ex-wife sniffed creosote along with drinking banana milk shakes with onion in them as part of her general oddness when she was pregnant.

So, some women do like the smell, but I think it is a guy thing mostly, like petrol/rubber, barbecue smoke, and, especially, steam engines. Remember 'Railway Children'; steam engines and Jenny Agutter. Excuse me, I have something personal to attend to-won't be long......http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/images/ ... on_lol.gif
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Personally I adore the smell of nail varnish remover - I'll get me pinny.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    SimonAH wrote:
    Personally I adore the smell of nail varnish remover - I'll get me pinny.

pear drops!!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    There's a factory or something near me that smells of pear drops. Come to think of it, it's probably Acetate Products on Caton Road.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)